Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Kenwood KM-208 amplifier. I powers on, but I get…

Customer Question
I have a Kenwood...

I have a Kenwood KM-208 amplifier. I powers on, but I get very very low volume out of it. It was working fine, then volume cut out.

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Theater Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
11/26/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: ITPeter, Electronics Engineer replied 7 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Approximately how old is the amplifier?

What input devices do you have connected to it, and what type of connection are you using?

It's about 30 years old. It has a Kenwood preamp and eq connected with rca cables

Does the preamp and eq work ok if connected to a different amplifier?

I do not have another amp. But they seem to be working ok. When I turn the amp up, music is very low in volume and a little statticy

Ok, if you can rule out a problem with the preamp then the problem is likely with the amp itself -

there are fuses in the amp to protect the outputs from speaker shorts, etc.

So check the fuses first.

However they don't always work fast enough and sometimes the output transistors can get fried, so if the fuses are good then have the transistors checked next.

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------