Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

It's been out of tune. Yamaha CLP 240. Tbh I thought my ears…

Customer Question
It's been out of...

It's been out of tune

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

HI!

Technician's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Yamaha CLP 240

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Yamaha instrument? What have you tried so far?

Tbh I thought my ears must be wrong as a digital pno shall not be out of tune...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

After I had some friends hearing it, too, I heard that there is an update for things like that

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
11/26/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 4 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. First let me agree with you "it is almost impossible for a digital piano to go out of tune." This model has a crystal controlled circuit that sets the tuning. You can't change that frequency without changing the crystal. If a crystal goes bad it stops working. It does not change frequency. The tuning beyond that is controlled by the programming in the computer. Option one would be possibly the transposer is not set to A440 frequency. I would check that first. Second is a fine tuning adjustment that is done from the control panel. This is done by...You can fine tune the pitch of the entire instrument. This function is useful when you play the Clavinova along with other instruments or CD music. 1. Engage the Function mode and select (F1) 2. Use the [–/NO] and [+/YES] buttons to lower or raise the pitch of the A3 key in approximately 0.2 Hz increments. Try this and let me know what you find.

OK, thanks. I'll let u know when I tried that.

I was wondering if you have had a chance to try the suggestions and did they help?

I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I probably didn't get your answer 100%. The piano is not completely out of tune. Only several keys are.
So is it possible to only tune the actual Keys?
Thank you very much for your help so far!

No the entire unit will all tune at the same time. If the unit is in tune except for just a couple of keys you have a bad computer.

Just an FYI. I have been servicing units for over 45 years and if only a few keys are out of tune with the rest being correct. It would be the first time I have ever seen that happen.

WoW
That doesn't sound encouraging. I'll have time to occupy myself with that on Monday. If it is the first time? What would I be supposed to do?
I'll send you a soundexample on Monday

I'm still not convinced only a few keys are out of tune. If that is in fact true the only other thing to try would be a factory reset on the computer if that does not correct the problem then a new computer would be in order.

jaimzness
jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer