Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

It will not switch records. Seeburg MD - SE 100S Serial #

Customer Question
It will not switch...

It will not switch records

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Seeburg MD - SE 100S Serial #(###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

3 months - noting

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
11/21/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: ITPeter, Electronics Engineer replied 8 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

There are several possible causes of this problem. The most common is a problem with the "Safety Plunger".

The record lift mechanism includes a Safety Plunger, to ensure that damage to the record or the mechanism does not occur from a warped record. The Safety Plunger is mounted at the rear of the carriage, on the side facing the record magazine. When the record is in the process of being transferred back into the magazine, the Safety Plunger is released to move into the area formerly occupied by the record.

A warped record will prevent this from happening, so the clutch cannot shift back into scan, resulting in the record being transferred into play again. This will repeat until the obstruction is removed or the power is turned off. Years of inattention, no cleaning and no lubrication will result in a sticky mass which prevents free movement of the Safety Plunger, behaving similar to a warped record.

The solution for this problem is to dis-assemble that portion of the mechanism (usually requiring that the magazine be removed to gain access), clean away the ‘gunk’, lubricate and re-adjust whatever was dis-assembled. Before cleaning the mechanism, remove the motor, trip solenoid, cartridge, trip switch, and memory unit. Use a water-based degreaser followed by plenty of fresh water, and make sure it dries completely before doing anything else.

Reply back and let me know how you get on.