Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Roland 350 intelligent piano and the volume hardly…

Customer Question
I have a Roland...

I have a Roland 350 intelligent piano and the volume hardly works. When it is on top volume it sounds very low. Can we open it up and try to clean it or look for loose wires? Thanks

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

KR-350 Digital Intelligent Piano and it's old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It started happening about 3 months ago, and we noticed the speakers make a static noise when we try to raise the volume. We have plugged in headphones to see if the piano sounds normal with headphones. They also don't have a high volume.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

We want to know if the speakers make a static noise as the volume is raised, if that is a loose wire connection maybe or if the volume slider itself is the problem, and if we should open it up.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
11/21/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 8 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Roland certified technician. If the volume control make static when you move it that problem is in or near the control itself. The first thing to do is try to clean the control. This is done by spraying control cleaner into the slot the slider of the control moves in and then work the control. If the static is still there after that, then open it up and look for bad soulder connections around that control. Let me know what you find?

We have to get the control cleaner and try it and then we will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your advice. Could it be the speaker itself? The piano is pretty old (20+ years).

No it won't be the speaker. You have two amplifiers and two speakers, the chances of both speakers being bad are slim to none.