Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I just bought a california 263. everything turns on fine but

i just bought a thomas...
i just bought a thomas california 263. everything turns on fine but I can't get any sound - any suggestions about where to start with repair?
11/19/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have been servicing organs for over 40 years. I will assume you know enough about this organ to have voices turned on across the stop rail. If so look around the headphone jack some models had a switch to turn the speakers off. Look to see if a headphone adaptor is not plugged into the headphone jack it can turn off the speakers Next try a set of headphones to see if that works. let me know what you find?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Ron. We don't know a lot, but we have played with the voices buttons - piano is on Acc presents and foot pedal. Don't have any headphones, but there is no adaptor plugged in. the speaker on off button near the jack is on

OK that is the normal problems people forget. If those are all ok the trouble will in the circuits inside the unit. Are you able to troubleshoot electronics?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I cannot troubleshoot electronics

One other question, can you get the rhythm to work "drum's"?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no sound at all on anything

With those symptoms there are several things that can cause this problem. One, the unit has several voltage regulator transistors, they control the voltage to different areas. Thomas had a lot of trouble with these parts. The second thing would be something wrong in the amplifier section. The problem is any of these is going to require someone with electronics training, Where would you like to go from here? Keep in mind that Thomas has been out of business for over 40 years and there are no parts supplies any more.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
it sounds like I need to find someone with electronics training - is it simple as hiring an electrician? could it be a tube problem - do i need to consider replacing a tube? if they have been out of business for that long, is there any way to get parts?

First of all this unit is all solid state, there are no tubes to change. There are some generic parts in it. If one of those is bad you will be ok. Second an electrician will not know what to do, there are service technicians throughout the country if you can give me your zip code I can see if someone is nearby.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
thanks 96002

Wow, there is no one within a 100 miles of you. By the time you paid for a service call you could have bought another unit.

Electronic Organ Service (127.6)
4660 Torrey Pines Drive
Medford, OR 97504(###) ###-####/p>

Piano Studios & Showcase (129.7)
2580 Crater Lake Highway
Medford, OR Medford

Keyboard Electronics (133.4)*****, Suite B3 P.O. Box 821
Rocklin, CA 95677(###) ###-####/p>

Camp's Organ Service (199.1)*****
Livermore, CA###-##-#######) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Do I consider taking the unit to them. Will it travel/?

Yes it can be taken to them and it will travel. Lay it on it's back and cover it with a blanket. Whoever you decide to use, call them first.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Ron Winston
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That's everything I can think of. Thank you very much.
Ron Winston
Ron Winston