Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have an old ensoniq marage sampler. The question may apply…

I have an old...

I have an old ensoniq marage sampler. The question may apply to most all keyboards of this type. I am getting a midi signal to my computer but he audio out does not send a signal. The cord to my amp is fine. I tested it against my bass guitar. Is there any setting that could cause the audio out to the amp not to work?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It's old 35 years, maybe. I does drive midi info to Finale. It just won't play via the external amp.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I've been away from my studio for some time (was sick). I hear a buzz when I plus in.Perhaps there's no signal exiting the audio out? There's no settings to turn this off or on are there - generally?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think off

are you there/
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Can you confirm that you are receiving my requests?
11/19/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have been servicing keyboards for over 30 years. I serviced Ensoniq for one of there dealers when they came out. There is no setting that will cause the audio to not work and the MIDI to work other than the volume control, I assume you have already checked that. The most common cause is the soulder connections on the audio output connector to the main board. Or the soulder connections to the volume control. I would look there first. The downside of this is the brand "Ensoniq" They were great units for sound and reliability. The problem is two fold now. First Ensoniq is no longer in business. (as you already know) The second is when they were in business they would only allow board replacement. They would not allow troubleshooting to component level. So there are no schematics for them. If the trouble is not soulder on either the output jack or the volume control you would need to replace the main board. To find one you would probably need a salvage unit with a good board. I wish I had a better answer for you but the connections are first to check.

I hope this has at least helped some and if you have any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Might you have a suggestion for a replacement keyboard? use it strictly to drive MIDI to Finale. I do not perform with the key.

Any of the major brands have keyboards that would work great for this use. Yamaha, Roland, Korg. I would check a local music store, like Guitar Center for example and see which unit would be the easiest to operate, and has the functions and controls you like. You can't go wrong with any of these brands. The are all still in business and allow troubleshooting to component level.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Ron Winston
No, Thanks a lot.
Ron Winston
Ron Winston