Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Suzuki HG500ex digital piano that uses 3.5" floppy…

I have a Suzuki...

I have a Suzuki HG500ex digital piano that uses 3.5" floppy discs. Is there a reasonably simple way to convert it to play from USB files?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Suzuki HG500 ex. I purchases it about 10 years ago.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

What do you mean??? It is ORIGINALLY made to play floppy discs. I want to convert it to play from USB.

Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Suzuki technician. The problem you have to do what you want is this. The HG500gx has two ways to get controlling data. One from the 3.5" floppy drive that uses "MIDI" information. The second is from a "MIDI" input connector. ( MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface ) This is a digital information format that the keyboard understands. The problem is that a USB ( Universal Serial Buss ) does not use that format. In other words the two different formats can't understand each other. The only way to convert them so they can is use a standard home computer as the interface. Connect the Keyboard to the computer with a MIDI interface, then run the USB into the computer and have it convert the USB data to MIDI data. I can be done but it is not simple or easy. One other option is you can purchase MIDI programed pre-recorded music on the internet that can be run on your 3.5" drive.

I hope this has helped and if you have any additional problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ron Winston