Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have some sticky keys. Cvp-205/205M/203. About 9 months…

Customer Question
I have some sticky...

I have some sticky keys

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Cvp-205/205M/203

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About 9 months Very little trouble shooting thus far

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

Two keya

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
11/18/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 7 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. When you say the "keys are sticking" Do you mean "some of the keys are hanging down" or "some of the keys are slow to return to the upright position" or "some keys feel different on the travel"?

Hanging down or slow to return

OK Here is what is going on, I have seen this many times over the years. On this keyboard each key has a return spring that pushes the key back up after it is played. It is pushing on the back frame of the keyboard on one end and on a notch in the plastic key on the other end. Over the years of playing and constant pressure the spring eats away at the plastic key and causes the tension to release, and the key hangs down and is slow to return. THE FIX...You can replace all the keys that are hanging down. This is a temporary fix because you will fix three keys today, and next month you will have four more to replace. and the month after that another three. Yamaha tells us if you want a fix that will last a while you should replace the entire keyboard and start from scratch. Again the problem is age. I wish there was a better repair but it has to do with how the keyboard was designed.

I hope this has helped and if you have any additional problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Is there anything else I can help you with?