Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a P 250 Kawai digital piano that lights up but no…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a P 250 Kawai digital piano that lights up but no sound. I have checked the fuses and they are all good at least the ones I see. Also there is nothing in the headphone jack that broke off and I have looked the board over for any signs of burn't components and I see none. Help please. Dan O.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kawai Model P250 serial(###) ###-#### I am guessing the age is in the 90's.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It just started and I have the lid up and checked the fuses, also I checked the headphone jack for any broken tips, also looked over the boards for any obvious burns or component failure.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I have also hooked up an amplifier to the output and that doesn't work, I tried plugging in a speaker to the headphone jack and still nothing. I disconnected a speaker and hooked a good one up and still nothing.

10/16/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Kawai certified technician. It sounds like you have tried all the common things that goes wrong. If you were able to check "all" the fuses. The nxt thing to try is sending a signal into the line input jacks and see if you can get it through to the speakers. This will tell us if the problem is in the amplifier or the computer.

Hi Ron I am back, I plugged in an ampex tape deck to the line in Left and Right on the keyboard and I get sound through both sides. I had to jiggle the male phone plugs but the sound is getting through to the speakers. It is a loud hummm and crackle sound. Dan.
No I can't afford any more charges. Thanks.

That confirms the audio amplifiers are working. There is only one other thing I can suggest before we confirm that it is the computer itself. Pull the board the volume control is mounted on and resoulder the connections to the volume control. If that does not do it the computer is bad.

Thanks I will try that and get back to you.

OK

O.K. I sweated the volume control area of the board and it didn't change anything. When I turn it off I can hear a pop in the speaker. What now? Dan.
If it is the computer how do I find that and what does one cost?
Can I please get an answer to my last question. I have to leave in a few minutes and won't be back until tomorrow. Dan.

The computer has to be purchased from Kawai. Your first problem would be "do they have any more?" this is an old unit and companies don't stock parts for the older units. Second they might be able to repair it at the factory. Third is cost most computers for keyboards run around $500.00. If you want I can give you Kawai's phone number.

Hi Ron, Hope your evening was good. O.K. first of all the keyboard isn't worth $500.00 and I am a tech myself from the old school of Radio and T.V. With that said without a schematic I am guessing what is referred to as the computer must be the two stacked boards or the largest boards in here. That is what I was asking as to where can I find it meaning the computer. I come from the school of fixing the problem not replacing boards. So can you help me find a schematic? Also can you tell me where the computer is located? Just an off the wall question. Many years ago I sold for an electronics wholesale distributor in California and my territory was Fresno, Visalia, Exeter, and a town called Winston. Just a shot in the dark but could this be the same business in that area. This was back in the 70's. Anyway thanks for the help and anything else would be appreciated. Dan O.

I started the same way repairing the boards. The problem is the way they are made now. "multi-layer and surface mount parts, it is almost impossible to repair them." The computer board is the one with all the chips on it. It is called the CPU-08 board. I have a schematic but when you are a service center for a company they will not let you give them out. They want control of who has them. The only thing I can suggest is contact Kawai at(###) ###-####and ask for the service manual for this model. This is an old enough unit they might supply one for you. Good luck and I hope you find the problem.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know.

Ron Winston