Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

We purchased a Technics Digital Ensemble used piano for our…

Customer Question
We purchased a Technics...

We purchased a Technics Digital Ensemble used piano for our granddaughters. We had no clue and the seller assured us it worked 100% and no repairs needed and that it was a few years old. We transported it to the house which was 39 miles. It was laid on its back on a king size comforter and never moved or jarred the whole ride (pavement all the way). When we set up we freaked when we found a floppy disc (no way a few years old) and then one key was dead wouldn't do anything. We called seller and they basically had lied to us and refuesed to take piano back as promised. My question is could we have stopped key from working when we moved it? Also how much would this cost to fix? We wondered if it was worth putting more money into it?

Technician's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Instrument Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Technics Digital Ensemble Not sure on age was told a few years old but has a floppy disc and drive in it

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

We just got it and have no clue that is why I am reaching out to see what to do and if it was our fault.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

No that should be fine. thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
9/27/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 10 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have been servicing Technics keyboards since they started building them. You are probably not going to like this answer but here it is. Technics stopped building keyboards around seven years ago. So the unit is at least that old. On the good side they did build quality equipment, we had very little problems with them. On the bad side there are no more parts from them any longer. So if you need a board or mechanical part, there are none. As for your problem and what you can do. If it is just one key and it still moves like the rest of them, the problem is in the switch under that key. More than likely the switch is dirty or has something stuck under it. Was it caused by the move? possibly if there was something floating around under the keyboard. It could have moved and got lodged under the switch. Since you already have the piano and are unable to return it I would suggest having a technician open it up and clean the switches. If it is a switch that is just bad and he is not able to repair it, have him move it to the end of the keyboard where it is not needed. Good luck and let me know what you decide to do.