Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

Just got a new GK3 pickup from Roland. First 3 strings don't…

Just got a new...

Just got a new GK3 pickup from Roland. First 3 strings don't work.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Gr20 Roland. Not sure how old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My old pickup started doing the same thing so I got a new one. Same thing, first 3 strings don't work bless you touch them right on the pickup. I checked for broken wires, cleaned with contact cleaner, 13 pin cable checks out good

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

GK2 did the same thing

9/19/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Roland certified technician. And I will try to help you today. From the description of the problem, my first thought would have also been the pickup. So unless the new pickup is bad in the same way, which is unlikely but not impossible, the trouble is elsewhere. The next thought would be the cable but you have already tested that. After that possibly the connectors for that cable, broken or bent pins. Beyond that it has to be in the voice module itself which would require training and test equipment you probably don't have. Check the connection's in the guitar again, then check the cable and connectors again, and let me know what you find.

Ok
I'll get back to you later today
Also, that voice thing, is it in the GK3 or GR20?

The GR20

That's what I thought
Can I check the pickup with a multi meter and how
Can I check the gk3 with a multi meter
The shielding on the inside of the pickup cable, is it supposed to be grounded?

You can check the GK3 and the cable with a multimeter. The pickup is nothing more than 6 coils. They should show connection with about the same resistance on each coil. Yes the shield should be grounded. If it was not grounded. You would hear hum and distortion on all the strings not just three of them.

Got it fixed! It wasn't any of that other stuff after all, the pickups weren't adjusted right! After a little adjusting it works fine. I feel like a real dumb ass now! Lol! Thanks anyway. Sorry I bothered you.

That is great, My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you have any further questions,don't hesitate to ask!

Ron Winston
Ron Winston
Ron Winston