rwhill1
rwhill1, Other
Experience:  A good general knowledge of electronics, computers and telephony. I can usually get most things fixed.
14784508

I am in England and have an HP203 for which I've lost the

Customer Question

Hi. I am in England and have an HP203 for which I've lost the power cable. I am told by Roland spare parts here that I only need a figure 8 cable, but the socket is for a polarised plug - not available in UK, at least not for 230v. Do you know if an ordinary fig8 cable is ok please? Seems strange that the socket is set up for polarised. I do hope just fig8 will do mind.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's 10 yrs old I think. HP203 - ERW. It's second hand to us so not sure of its origin.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Well we moved house and somehow the cable didn't come with us. I tried researching myself about what is to us, a strange type of socket, found it was polarised, found such cables are from U.S. and only 125V. Then I tried Roland Spares in UK and the guy there is a little dismissive and insists we only need a fig8 cable. Just want to be absolutely sure before plugging one in.
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  rwhill1 replied 1 month ago.

I understand your concern about this, why was a polarised connector fitted if it wasn't important?, for instance components may be fitted specifically to the Live or Neutral circuits which affect safety or suppress interference. I'd suggest contacting Roland in France to see if they can clarify this. Unfortunately, there is no international standard for the figure 8 polarised cable, so even if you could buy one with a UK plug the Live and Neutral may not be the same way around as the original Roland one. If you could get an original one from Roland France and use a a UK mains adaptor you should be able to trace this through with an ohmeter to ensure it's correctly connected.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Rich

Expert:  rwhill1 replied 29 days ago.

Do you require any further assistance?

If not, I hope my answer was helpful and if so a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rich