ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have an & Heath Zed 14 running into a vintage HP running

Hi Pearl! I have an Allen & Heath Zed 14 running into a vintage HP running on XP. My DAW is Sonar 8.5. The setup is fast and incredibly stable, as it has been since 2006. I purchased the A&H board because my Mackie 1220 with firewire died after 10+ years of reliable use. Are you familiar with the Allen & Health board?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I recently purchased the A&H mixer board new from ProAudioStar, but it was manufactured in 2007 and on. So it may have been made that far back, or more recently. For all I know, it's sat in its box for years before I purchased it. Anyway, I think the board is functioning good and I am doing something wrong when trying to record.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Are you familiar with the mixer?
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I may just have things set up wrong. When I record new tracks, existing tracks are bleeding onto new tracks. That never happened with the Mackie.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Do you have the user guide for your ZED14?

Have you checked the user guide to ensure you are setting it up correctly?

Here is the user guide:

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP6822_5+ZED14_18_24UG.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course I checked the user guide! $36 for that advice? Are you kidding me?

No, we can reply back and forth as often as is necessary.

If you are following all of the steps in the user guide correctly then the mixer has a fault.

Is there any step that you are having difficulty with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I record a track, existing tracks bleed into the track. The USB returns onto channels 11 & 12. Whether I assign the return to the L R or 11 &12, the return bleeds onto the newly recorded track in Sonar 8.5. The amount of bleed correlates to the level of the faders on 11 & 12 and L R.

All mixers will exhibit some degree of channel crosstalk or bleed. The inexpensive ones have a lot more of it than the high-end consoles, but they all have it. It's just that most of the time, it's too low for you to notice.
The best way to minimize crosstalk - and any other unwanted bleed noises is to make sure the signal coming in is as loud as you can make it so that the master volumes and bus volume controls can be set lower.

Try adjusting the master and bus volumes to see if you can get a reduction in the amount of bleed that you are hearing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can get the level relatively low, but I and the people I record still need to hear the existing tracks. The Mackie never had this problem. I think I'm doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out.

Different mixers will have different levels of crosstalk. Does adjusting the volumes have any impact on it at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very much so. That's why I believe either I'm doing something wrong, the mixer is poorly designed, or the mixer is defective. Crossbleeding has never been an issue before. And I'm not sure this is crossbleeding.

What type of wiring and connections are you using?

Are any cables running alongside each other?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was able to figure out the problem and solution.

Glad to hear you got it resolved! Was it a wiring problem?

Have a great day :)
Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not a wiring problem. The mixer is set up for auxiliary sends to be routed to the USB output for recording. Once I figured that out, I double checked the manual. It is stated, just not clearly. Problem is solved. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

Thanks!
Pete.