jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

I have a Casio PX 730 keyboard. It is not under warranty.

Customer Question

I have a Casio PX 730 keyboard. It is not under warranty.The power lamp/LED on the front comes on but the 3 LED lamps that blink in sequence, getting faster until it plays a sound don't come on.I can hear that the speakers are active/powered as when i turn it off they make the typical quiet 'pop' sound. So I don't think this is a power issue.All i can assume is that the system does not initialise. not sure if a factory reset is possible, I've searched for details of this but have been unsuccessful.I'm happy to take the keyboard apart and have a look inside -i've done so already and nothing looks overheated/blackened but i haven't tested with a multi meter.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Initialization might be the problem, indeed. As for a factory reset, try this:

- from a turned-Off status, hold down the Function and the GMTones buttons. Then while holding them down, turn On the keyboard, and wait at least 5 seconds before letting go of those two buttons.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no buttons that say GM tones...I have:
A volume knob
Function
Song
Recorder
Metronome
Modern
Classic
Elec PianoThose lower three, modern, classic and Elec Piano are the three that used to flash. do you need me to press all three?

I don't think that would help. And evidently the instructions I found for a factory reset were dead wrong - my apologies. I am seeking genuine instructions now, if you don't mind my taking some more minutes to do the search...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's fine. Ive searched for a week and got nowhere for my PX 730. There appear to be different combinations for a variety of privias, i just can't find mine - or similar X30 series. Holding the top C note at the same time as turning on doesn't work either as others have suggested.

That (top-most note, or top C note, key) works with Yamaha keyboards, I think, not Casio.

Do you need references to a nearby Casio repair facility or company? if so, let me know your local post code, or nearby town/city and your region.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have the phone number for the only casio service centre in NSW. id rather not take it there, its a bit of a drive away. I'm sure i can find somewhere more locally.

Well, I might be able to find a repair shop for you locally, too, but I don't know whereabout you are located. I just thought I'd mention that... the Casio does sound as if it distinctly needs repair servicing for an electronic defect, either in control circuitry (most likely) or perhaps in power supply levels.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, the power supply is giving me 12.3v so i don't think its that. I think a technician might be the next move.

Right, agreed. Do you need any more help, or advice of any kind? (I don't think a voltmeter can settle much more than you have already made sure of.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think so. Thanks for trying.

OK, then. Good luck with it. (How would you rate my work on this case?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you happy with 3 stars as you didn't give me any help i hadn't already tried and you didn't fix it?

Thanks, ***** ***** the trouble. As I said, good luck with it, and no further reply is needed. Have a good day.