Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have a Mark 110 Kurzweil that will not produce sound. I've…

Customer Question
Good evening, I...

Good evening, I have a Mark 110 Kurzweil that will not produce sound. I've just had the amplifier replaced on the circuit board, but still no luck

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kurzweil Mark 110. I don't know the age, but at least 10 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It's my fiancée's piano and is my understanding that it has been silent for at least 4 years. She was able to plug it into a guitar amp and produce sound which lead me to believe the small amplifier on the circuit board was at fault so I just had it replaced, performed a factory reset, but still no sound

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
9/6/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: ITPeter, Electronics Engineer replied 5 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Can you hear any audio through headphones if you connect a pair to the piano?

Do MIDI Out devices receive a signal ok?

Not sure what that means Pete. I'm not super electronically-literate

There are MIDI connections on the Mark 110 - these allow you to connect it to other devices.

By connecting it to a MIDI device you can check if a signal is being received.

If it is outputting a signal but you are not hearing any audio through the built-in speakers then either the amplifier or the speakers is at fault.

You could try testing the voltage and resistance of the speakers as well, to see if any signal is being sent to them from the amplifier.

Hello Pete. I did replace the amplifier...assuming that was the culprit as I did confirm that the speakers were functioning. I can look around the piano for a MIDI connection, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Will it be obvious?

Yes, there should be three round MIDI connections, labelled IN OUT and THRU.

Ok. I'll look for them. I'm out of town now for a few days but will follow up when I've had a chance to review. Thank you

Ok, let me know how you get on when you get back.

Hey Pete, I'll be back tomorrow evening. I will follow up with you then. Thank you

Great, looking forward to hearing from you :)

Hello Pete, I'm finally getting back to the piano and I Did locate a headphone jack and MIDI connectors. I've tried connecting a guitar amp via both the headphone jack and co-ax audio cables...still no sound is being generated

If you are not getting any audio through the built-in speakers nor the other outputs, then the amplifier or its power supply is suspect.

Can you test the amplifier to ensure it is receiving power, and outputting a signal ok?

ok. not sure how to test the amp. I did have a new amp soldered onto the main board, but I guess I did not have it tested before hand.

Did you solder the amp yourself? Have you checked the soldering connections?

Are you sure the replacement amp was new, or was it used?

What test equipment do you have available?

I had an electronic repair outfit specializing in micro-soldering install the amp so I'm fairly confident in the connections, but you never know. I purchased the amp as new from eBay.
I have access to a multi-meter, but not super confident in my ability to use it properly

If unsure how to test the voltages, a local repair company can test it for you to avoid any damage.

ITPeter
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer