Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have a Clavinova CLP 990 that has stopped turning on, CLP…

Customer Question
I have a Clavinova...

I have a Clavinova CLP 990 that has stopped turning on

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

CLP 990. It's been glitchy off and onnthis year. Now it won't turn on even for a moment

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I haven't tried anything. I thought it was faulty wiring in the plug I had it connected to. But that wasn't the case

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?

The piano survived a flood two years ago and showed no signs of trouble until now.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
8/18/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 6 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. The first thing you want to do is pull the back off the unit and look in the very bottom that is where the power supply is check for any blown fuses. Also look for indications of water damage. Let me know what you find.

My guess is that it's a blown out fuse.
Did those photos help?

From the pictures I does not look like there is any water damage, that's great. Try changing the fuse and see what happens.

Not sure what to change. Can't seem to find the fuse. What am I looking for?
Yeah I was amazed it wasn't water damaged either given all the water that went through it.

In the first picture the fuse is on the right toward the back. It is a glass tube with metal caps pushed into the spring loaded clamp. It should be marked on the board what size it is. You should find a couple more on the board to the right with the big heat sink on it.

That's it pry up on one end with a screwdriver and it should pop out.

Got it. I think they labeled it a 129Afuse. I'll let you know if it works once I replace it.

Remember there should be more fuses on that board to the right.

They are different ratings on each fuse don't get them mixed up.

Dammit.
I wrote down the fuse numbers. Sweetwater .com is looking into getting them shipped to me

Great, let me know how it turns out.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know.

I'll keep you posted. And I will consider that 5 star rating.
Ron Winston
Ron Winston