Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

Our clavinova powers up but there is no sound, i will have

our clavinova powers up but...
our clavinova powers up but there is no sound
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: i will have to check on the model. It's a grand piano case. It is approx. 12 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just a week. no troubleshooting other than to check other sound settings and getting nothing
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: this happened about 5 or so years ago and we had to have it picked up. Looking to see if there is a way for it to be repaired on sight
8/17/2017
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. With out the model number i can only be of limited help. But lets check one basic thing. When you plug in headphones it turns off the speakers on almost every unit. Make sure "nothing" is plugged into the headphone jack.

it is model cvp-900

Again the first thing to check is that headphone jack. That would be a quick easy fix. If it is not that. are you willing to try any internal repairs?

i checked the jacks. nothing plugged in. we would be willing to try internal repairs

OK You will need to open the top and look for a board with a large aluminum heat sink. on that board you will find several fuses see if any of them are blown, do not assume they are good if you don't see any burn or flash marks. They can open at the end and you can't see it.

fuses appear to be fine

One more thing to try. See if you can feed some kind of a signal in the "line in" jack and see if you can hear it at the speakers?

there is sound through the aux in

OK here is where the problem is. First we know the power supply and the computer is running or you would not be able to change buttons. By sending that signal through the line jack and hear it at the speaker you have confirmed the audio system is working. Here is the problem and I have seen several tech tips from Yamaha about this problem, and seen it myself on several ocasions. Between the computer and the audio system is an IC called a DAC, it is the digital to analog converter. That takes the digital information from the . computer and converts it into audio for the sound system to amplify. That chip has gone bad, It is on the computer board and not for just anyone to change. If you contact Yamaha and send the board back to them they will repair it. You would need to contact them for the RA number and the cost.

Ron Winston
thanks so much
Ron Winston
Ron Winston