Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My yamaha ypg-625 I have had for years and have never had…

Customer Question
Hi, my yamaha ypg-625...

Hi, my yamaha ypg-625 I have had for years and have never had any issues with it. In the past two weeks it has been acting up and if I play, all of a sudden mystery notes will sound out that I am not touching and sounds like discord. Is there a way to reset or fix this problem?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Ypg-625 probably 9 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The past 2 weeks it started

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?

Nope that's really it. It has always worked fine, so not sure what to do

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Can anyone troubleshoot this for me right now?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/5/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 11 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. The only thing you can do from the keyboard is a hard reset, so try that first. Here is how that is done.

To clear data backed up to the internal flash memory-panel user setting, registration memory, user songs, style file-turn the power on by pressing the [STANDBY/ON] switch while holding the highest white key on the keyboard. The backed up data will be erased and the default values restored.

That did not work:( Any other ideas?

Yes I do have one other. There could be a problem with the key switches. There could be dirt or tears in the rubber switches causing them to randomly make contact when you are playing. I would suggest taking the keyboard down to the rubber switches and clean and inspect them for tears or rips.

You need to lift the key deck up and removed the contact boards then you can access the rubber key contacts. This is what you do. First look at the rubber switches for these keys. See if they are torn or broken. If they are you will need to replace them. If they are not you might be able to just clean them. To do this look at the switches each one has two depressions, one is deeper when you reinstall them this must be the same way as when they were removed. There should be 6-7 of the strips. To remove them just pull them off. Wash them with hand soap and water. Make sure you get the black pads clean. That is the actual contact. Let them dry and reinstall. Make sure the deeper one is in the same arrangement as how it came out. To put the rubber contacts back in use the end of a paper clip to push the nub back through the hole. “They must be down flat.” Connect the keyboard and try it. If it still does not work you will need to replace them. As a suggestion this is caused by use and dirt. It might be a good idea to clean all of them while you are there. Let me know how it works out or if you need any more help.

Ok, we just spent two hours taking the whole thing apart and cleaning the keys and put it back together. It is still doing the same problem...All of the keys work individually, but when I start playing an arpeggio of multiple notes a mystery note that I am not touching will still random play. I am hoping this is a weird setting that can be undone and that the piano isn't just "going bad" Any ideas??

I was hoping I would not have to tell you this. A hard reset will put the unit back to factory settings, If you have something on that is causing the problem that would have corrected it. If you had a switch under the keyboard that was bad or dirty that should have corrected it. If you are still having a problem after a reset and cleaning and inspection the only thing left is the computer itself. If it is any consolation the reset and the cleaning is what I would have done first also. Those units were built starting around 2006. With a 10 year old unit i would think twice about replacing a computer. I'm sorry but you have done the only things i could have done. At this point you need to decide, do i want to replace a computer or replace the instrument.