jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

I am trying to access the screen on my fantom g8 to replace

Customer Question

I am trying to access the screen on my fantom g8 to replace it. It went dark some time ago. Kybd works fine no backlight There are NO service manuals I can find on line. I have tried to open the kybd, it starts to open then stops app 1/4 way open I cannot see what is preventing me to open all the way
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Roland Fantom G8 perhaps 5 years old never moved went from store to studio
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: over a year, I even replaced this kybd with a Motif. No real trouble shooting I was continuing to use the G8 via the editor on my MAC
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I get this thing completely open and any info on the screen replacement with be great
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Roland certified technician. It has been a while since I have worked on one of those units, but as I remember, when you start to open it there are some cables that get in the way and will have to be disconnected.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well Ron I don't see them I know there were cables on the X8 that had to come off to remove the top This is the G8

I have access to the Roland tech website and per the service manual it says to remove the bottom screws and as you raise the top "disconnect the cables. Also do you have a new display for it. There were a few models that when you replaced the display you had to install new software to make it work.