jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer
Experience:  DAW and MIDI techniques. Keyboard and synthesizer programming. Electronic repair.
38010568

Confusion on the Line In function, TASCAM DR-40, It has

Customer Question

Confusion on the Line In function
JA: What's the brand and model of your instrument?
Customer: TASCAM DR-40
JA: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has always been the problem but I am a rookie. I have connected it to a sound board output and plugged into the Tascam using both XLR and 1/4 in connections. The input it sees in Line in mode is very low. In Mike mode it is very high but can be controlled. I have tried all the record setting and what hours of Youtube video but no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The sound board is a Allen & Heath GL2800. The output to the Tascam is at maximum. Our sound board expert tells me that setting would blow away most anything attached to it.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Ron Winston replied 2 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you today. I need some clarification first. You say the problem has always been there. That is a relative answer. How long have you had the unit and did you get it new or used? Have you only tried it on the Allen & Heath board or have you tried other inputs also and was the result the same from them? Have you tried a microphone directly into the unit and did is work ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I say always I mean I have not been able to get any other result than very low volume when Line is selected.. I have had the unit for 2 weeks. Bought it new. I haven't tried a mike connected directly. I am doing that now. The next statement shows my lack of knowledge here but does the center 1/4 connection provide any different input type than the XLR? I have tried both to the board and in Line mode. Nothing I can do will raise the input gain. Hope I am not being too vague.

The 1/4" jack is normally a "line level input" around a 1.5 to 2 volt signal. The XLR jack is a microphone and is a very low level input around 300 millivolt. If we can find out if a microphone directly connected is working ok that would be a start in figuring out the problem.