Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I replaced the touchscreen on my Triton Studio 88 keys

Customer Question
because was bad, and after...
I replaced the touchscreen on my Triton Studio 88 keys because was bad, and after that the display just turns blue without characters. I know that the new touchscreen works because when I touch it a bip sounds. Also when I turn the contrast potenciometer the display looks like change it a little bit to dark. I checked that potentiometer and gives 1.2VDC to 2.8VDC to the KLM2091 board (LCD inverter). How can I know if the LED or KLM2091 or the main board (KLM2283) is bad?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
1/11/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 10 months ago
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Do you still need help with this?
*This is not your answer, just an inquiry to see if you still need help. I'm here to help when you're ready. Due to the nature of the problem, it may take a few tries back and forth before we finish the troubleshooting and fix the problem.

Hi Rusty. Nice to meet you. Yeah. I am ready.

If it's the backlight that isn't working, you can shine a flashlight into the display, and you'll see the characters. Since it's blue, try that first to find out. I think you'll find that a ribbon cable was not seated properly during the replacement, unless you see characters with a flashlight. If you do, change the backlight.

Is the backlight the small LED behind the LCD that iluminates the whole screen? If yes, this one is working, because the LCD is iluminated in blue. I will check again the ribbon connection, when I noticed the characters don't pop up, I cleaned the ribbon and slot with DeoxIT D5 cleaner thinking a bad contact, but not successful.
Anyway. I will check again the connection.

Deoxit is the stuff to use, but sometimes the ribbon doesn't always align properly. They are a pain. Yes, the LED is the backlight for the whole screen.

The other thing that can go out is the IC that sends the characters to the screen. If that goes bad, you'll need to replace the module that the LCD plugs into.

Is there a way to know if that IC is sending the characters information properly? I mean, an specific voltage range. I will follow the LCD lines until reach the IC and I will look for his datasheet.

That's getting a little above my pay grade... Basically if you are sure the contacts are lining up on the ribbon, on both ends, and it still doesn't work, and you are certain that the LCD works, then the IC is dead.

I have ordered the LCD. I will install it when arrives. And I let you know.

You did read the part about the IC that sends the characters to the LCD, correct? When there are no characters, and the rest of the machine works, it's either the LCD or the IC that needs replacement. The IC you would have to order from Korg.

The IC is the M66271FP. I will wait for the LCD, if stills the issue, I replace the IC. I let you know.

Sounds good, you're on the right track.

What's up. Yesterday arrived the display. I replace it but still the same problem. No characters. I re-check the wires from the IC to the display ribbon, and all are ok, some of these wires have SMD solenoids, these are good. Continuity end to end.
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 9 months ago

The IC is the only other part that would prevent characters from getting to the LCD. That's the difficult thing with LCDs and ICs on keyboards, it's hard to tell which part is bad until you replace either one of them.

Ok. I will buy it. I let you know fella.

It should do the trick. LCD screens are the only parts where we have to flip a coin between replacing the screen, or the IC.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional