Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

It was working just fine yesterday. Now it will not turn on.

Customer Question
It was working just fine...
It was working just fine yesterday. Now it will not turn on. I put brand new batteries in and this did not help. I have it plugged into the computer as I have always oone. I press the on button for a long time with no response.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: No problems in the past. Tascam DR 40 PCM Recorder[
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: What I just
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: described above
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/31/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hello! Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com; I am Russell H., an Expert here at JustAnswer.com, and I will do what I can to answer your question as well as it can be answered.

Try removing the batteries altogether.

Then plug it in to the computer once more.

Does that get a reaction or any sign of life, either on the computer, or from the TASCAM device?

No response. The computer is on and working fine.
I can't get the Tascam to turn on. The computer doesn't usually respond to it unless it is turned on and I am accessing songs.
Are you there?
Do you plan on helping me? Why do you have 11 ratings with 1 star? Is this a scam?

This is not a scam. My attention was elsewhere, and I apologize for the wait.

Is your TASCAM connected to the computer with a USB cable?

If so, it might be - if one out of two of the four wires in it were broken somewhere along the cable's length - that replacing the cable would cause the device to work with the computer.

With batteries in it, but not connected to the computer, can it turn On, or does it fail to?

And if it fails to turn On by itself even with good batteries, then were leaking old batteries ever in its battery compartment?

If so, cleaning the battery compartment terminals, with cotton (e.g. cotton swabs) moistened with rubbing alcohol, until the orange or brownish is completely gone from the battery terminals, would help.

Let me know what you think, and what the above produces or suggests. I am not there to see the device in person, so at this point I'm just offering whatever advice may help or might help.

it is connected with a usb to the computer. No, it does not turn on when not connected to the computer. It always use it connected to the computer.
Is it supposed to work with only batteries, when it is not plugged into the computer?
I've never used it like that. Usually it only turns on when plugged into the computer.

If it has batteries in it, it might turn On even without power supplied through a USB cable.

Does it have an On/Off switch on it? if so, it should turn On with batteries as the only power.

(Pardon me: my lack of immediate acquaintance with this model does show.)

Have you tried a new / another USB cable?

It has a power button that needs to be pushed to turn on. The USB cable is a particular size to fit into the Tascam. So, I only have one.

Well... USB cables can be replaced. They may look unique, but almost always are not.

Does the end for the TASCAM look like this:

http://files.cablewholesale.com/prodimages/10um-02.jpg

what other device uses that one? My phone ones are not that size.
I have other ones too. They're not that size.

It's a USB mini-B type plug end. It's standard for most digital cameras, among other things.

But just naming it as a USB A male to USB mini-B male cable, will get it for you in any good store. For less than $10 unless they're really gouging the price.

This will charge less than $2 for one (plus shipping, tax, etc., perhaps):

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/usb-firewire/usb-2.0-cables/product-10um-02103bk.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=10UM-02103BK&utm_campaign=Mini%20USB%202.0%20Cable%2C%20Black%2C%20Type%20A%20Male%20to%205%20Pin%20Mini-B%20Male%2C%203%20foot&gclid=CLPspbywndECFYZMDQodEtUH7A

If WalMart sells it, for instance, would you like to buy it in person there?

If that would work. Of course, we don't know if that's the issue.

It's the easiest, and perhaps the cheapest, thing to try first.

Aside from cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment with cotton swabs moistened in alcohol, just in case that helps.

A dead device doesn't have symptoms to work with, so one has to try several things.

In person is the better way. I'll have to try tomorrow and let you know if it works. I don't understand why it won't even turn on when I just used it.

You may resume this case any time (tomorrow is fine) at

http://www.justanswer.com/electronic-musical-instruments/a4dth-working-just-fine-yesterday-will-not-turn-on.html

If you'd rather take it to a Tascam authorized service facility near you, just let me know your zip code, and I'll see if any are listed near you.

32837

I'm looking that up now...

There's one, within 6 miles. All the others are about 60 or 70 or more miles away from your zip code.

Hendrix Sound, Inc.

2595 North Orange Blossom Trail

Kissimmee, FL 34744

(407)(###) ###-####/strong>

Distance: 5.6 miles

is the close one.

Would you like the listings for the next nearest (but quite far away) ones?

No. I'll try there, or where I bought it from. Which one should I try first?

Try Hendrix Sound - unless the device was bought new, and less than a year ago, in which case, you could simply go for free-repair under warranty - in which case, yes, Hendrix Sound might still be the best choice (esp. if you take the sales slip with you as proof of purchase date.)

If the Tascam device was bought less than a week or 10 days ago, going to the shop where you bought it, would be good - and then you could ask for an exchange for your so-immediately defective merchandise.

jaimzness
jaimzness
jaimzness, Engineer