Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

Roland td9kx2

Customer Question
roland td9kx2
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really need some help with connecting my Roland TD9-KX2 MIDI to my PC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/20/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is the problem with the connection process?

Is it that you need instructions on how to go about it?

Or that you have such instructions, but it is not working?

Let me know more, and I will advise you.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi mate, basically...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have connected my Roland KD9KX2 to my PC, via a USB MIDI Cable
I have downloaded a a MIDI application which is designed to recognize a MIDI signal, but it just doesn't seem to be picking up any signals. The MIDI Light is on, but the IN and OUT lights are off, but im really not sure why

OK. I see. Thanks for the response and the info.

You will have to make sure

A. that the MIDI cable is OK. (If it's new, probably it is.)

B. that the Roland is set up for MIDI Output. (Necessary!)

C. that the MIDI cable is connected to the MIDI OUT on the Roland - right? or wrong? OK, probably the MIDI IN. But make sure you're clear on that point, as to which is supposed to be producing MIDI signals, and which is to receive them. Normally the PC would be receiving, I'd think.

D. what's the MIDI app called, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I need help with point B! Just to make sure im doing it properly, I have connected both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT into the roland drum kit, and the usb to the PC, its called MIDI OX
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you manage to fix this for me i will genuinely transfer YOU money, struggling so bad with this

OK. So what you're aiming at is

Drum Kit ---> MIDI IN on Roland (right?) (1)

Roland MIDI OUT ---> PC (right?) (2)

(3:) What input on the PC are you plugging up to? from the Roland MIDI Out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unfortunately it is a laptop, I have don't have midi output connection, is that essential? is this where I am going wrong here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no MIDI connection on my laptop at all, just the USB obviously, the Roland has the MIDI IN and OUT

So, does the MIDI cable used to the laptop have a MIDI-to-USB converter/adapter function?

That would be needed. If you need ref.s, let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would of thought so, but Im not entirely sure, is there a way of finding out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do u have whatsapp? maybe i could send you a photo? if thats allowed?

OK then!

A MIDI to USB adapter cable, plus probably driver for the computer (no doubt provided with the adapter cable) is what you might be needing here.

What laptop do you have? by maker and model #. It might have a MIDI input/output of an obscure type on its sound card, if it is one of certain (not terribly frequently encountered) models.

Send a photo! by all means. Use the 'paperclip' icon in your Reply To Expert editor, and I'll be able to see what's going on. Or by other means if that doesn't work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-USB-to-Midi-In-Out/dp/B000XRI3CC would this cable work? because this is what i have

I'm looking that up...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my laptop is a lenovo B50 i believe

I'm looking that up too...

(Meanwhile, what does the 'direction' LED indicator on the MIDI -to-USB adapter indicate?)

(Also, given that there are two MIDI plugs on the adapter, which one of the two are you using? and are they distinguished as one of them IN and the other OUT? in which case you have to use the right one of the two.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well my computer seems to pick the MIDI signal of my kit, it knows there is a midi device connected, because it appears on my devices. So i presume that's why the red light is on. However, it doesn't seem to be recognizing any hits

The Lenovo has no fancy sound card inputs, no. One point: you might want to try using the USB 2.0 plugs on it, not the (blue-marked) USB 3.0 plugs, in case that matters to the hookup working. Not everything works with USB 3.0.

That sounds as if the problem is elsewhere.

Is the drum kit recognizably sending signals to the Roland mixer? can you verify that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have plugged the IN MIDI wire into the IN MIDI plug of the Roland kit, and the same with the OUT MIDI plug, I have just tried unplugging one at a time, but still no luck. Sorry what is the Roland mixer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats a good point, and it is connected to USB 2

The Roland device in question is a mixer isn't it?

Sorry if I lost track... oh, it's a drum kit. OK! that straightens that out.

So how many devices are involved? just the drum kit and the laptop? or is there something else?

If only

drum kit ---> laptop

is involved, then you connect the MIDI Out of the drum kit to the MIDI-to-USB adapter, and the USB plug of the MIDI-to-USB-adapter to the USB 2.0 jack on the laptop.

Set the drum kit to MIDI Output (if that is necessary, if it isn't just a default status).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a graph of what I have doneROLAND DRUM KIT <<< MIDI IN & MIDI OUT -- (cable) -- USB >>> LAPTOPHow do i setup the midi output on my kit? i think that is one of the major problems? if you are aware?

Don't connect to the MIDI In on the drum kit. I don't think that's needed, nor right.

Set the adapter cable (if it has a switch) to direct MIDI Input through it to the USB. (I'm not sure which setting that is, I don't have that exact cable)

Otherwise OK.

Just power down the drum kit, after making these connections and being sure the adapter is set to the right direction (MIDI signals going toward the laptop.)

Then wait a half minute or longer, and turn On the drum kit. See if that gets to the PC software properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay i have unplugged the IN MIDI, do i have to manually install a driver for the cable? or does it do it automatically?

The TD9 series doesn't seem to have any 'configuration'... you just plug the right cable to the MIDI OUT on the TD9 series. Nobody mentions anything else ... except that a MIDI Interface box is sometimes needed (in which case, hopefully your adapter cable works in its place) between the drum kit and the computer, and also the TD9 series drum kit needs to be selected in your software as a MIDI IN source in the software on your computer.

Also the software on your computer needs to select USB as the source of the MIDI signal coming IN.

That cable, the Amazon page for it, is supposed to not need a driver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im starting to think the cable is the issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The software as in the MIDI OX?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have selected MONITOR - INPUT on the software, but still no recognition

That could be the case. Adapter cables are problematical.

Make sure the direction light on the cable's 'dongle' or thick portion, is indicating the right direction of MIDI signal flow!

And after that you might have to give up and get a small MIDI Adapter box.

The software on the laptop, yes. But not MIDI OX. There's no output to the drum kit as yet. So the software should be set to MIDI IN.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im sorry i am not sure what software you are referring to, im not great with technical stuff to be honest

But - does your TD9-series drum kit have a USB port?

The software you mentioned before:

I have downloaded a a MIDI application which is designed to recognize a MIDI signal, but it just doesn't seem to be picking up any signals.

As for the USB port... is it the littler 'house-shaped' type? if so, get a USB cable with that (type B, I think it's called) USB end, it's also known as a USB printer cable, and connect the drum kit to the PC using that. It might solve all problems, and also prove the adapter cable you got is bogus or flakey or no good.

USB A to USB B involves nothing more than a differently shaped jack, but the wires are the same, and no adapter function involved. Much more foolproof.

This might help too, if not too basic, esp the part labeled

MIDI PORTS: How we get MIDI data into and out of the computer

:

http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-started-with-midi-and-the-difference-between-midi-and-audio-is-explained-along-with-many-other-core-concepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay i think I am finished for today to be fair. Can we carry on our conversation tomorrow though? I will give A dont worry, because you have been helpful

That's fine! let's have a break on this. And if you could get the USB A to USB B ('USB printer cable') first and try it, that would make sure my advice is A-OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I will try and do that, so just to confirm, a USB connection from the roland to the laptop?

Correct! Roland drum kit USB port to USB (2.0) port on laptop. Cable to match each end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Russell, I have some more info that might help you to help me. Im actually trying to connect my roland drums to a game called PHASE SHIFT, which is the PC equivalent of ROCK BAND or GUITAR HERO. It is a music game which uses MIDI data, therefore I don't think a USB connection between would work, however I am still going to try it, because it wouldn't hurt i guess
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert