Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have no sound on my digital piano. An, About a year. And

Customer Question

I have no sound on my digital piano. An
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: About a year. And then sometimes I have sound but when I turn it off I loose it again. I love this instrument and have played with all the input controls. Something seems to be shorting out.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Also have loosened and re tightened screws
JA: The instrument expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. We're good. Thanks
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I want you to test the headphone jack. That is what is able to short out. Play it through the headphone jack for a while, see if it shorts out. If it does not, your headphone jack will need cleaned or replaced.

To clean it, unplug the piano. Dip the headphone jack into rubbing alcohol, and run it in and out of the jack several times.

If the problem persists, it is most likely the headphone jack. There are two amplifiers for the speakers, so if one is shorted, the other should still play. The headphone audio will tell us a lot about what is going on inside the circuitry.