Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

We have a P200, excellent product but two of the keys (a105

Customer Question
& d107) are sticking. Looks...
We have a P200, excellent product but two of the keys (a105 & d107) are sticking. Looks as if the hammers are slightly canted & not level. How do I fix?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
5/17/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. You will probably have to either replace the key parts, or have someone replace them for you. The next question is, whether there are parts available for your keyboard/piano. Please confirm my impression, that your P200 is a Yamaha-made contemporary piano. Also, in case parts cannot be found, please tell me whether you would accept having the piano serviced for you by a Yamaha Authorized Service Center in your region. If so, please reply with your local zip code or town/city and state, so that I may research Yamaha service centers near you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, it's a Yamaha P200, and the component in which I'm interested is the hammer assembly W2 P200. I believe the associated keys are sticking because the hammer assembly is canted and off center, so that key travel is not straight up and down, but rather oblique. I'm more interested in your input as to whether the assembly can be adjusted back to true, and how.
Is the whole hammer assembly, for all the keys in common, what is canted or oblique or out of alignment?Of just a key or two or so ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem only exists for hammer assemblies for A105 and D107 keys.
Do you have any idea how the two hammer assemblies became canted / out of alignment?Are the hammer assemblies in this case made of wood (which can warp despite drying and curing, on occasion) ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Canted is what an airplane does to bank--one wing drops one is higher. In this case, causes key to brush against its neighbor. Based on your last response, again looked at the hammer assemblies which appear to be slightly out of alignment fore and aft.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hammer assemblies are plastic (or something similar). Son's instrument, hasn't been abused, and very little used since his junior year of high school some years back.
OK, good. Warping of wood in a few wooden hammers might mean other things wrong, so it appears to be vinyl/plastic warping, which is a lot less to worry about - for the immediate future anyway.I would suggest that those hammers and key assemblies need replacing, period. I never heard of an adjustment for individual hammers to cant them or otherwise put them in or out of alignment with neighboring keys.(Is what you call the hammer assembly, including the key that the player's fingers touch?)
Yes, replace the hammer by all means, it's the first thing to try since they are separate parts from the keys.Do you need any help locating a parts source? if not, please rate my answer... unless you have other questions about this problem.
Russell H., Service Tech