Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have a Behringer CDP 2000 purchased some years back. I now

Customer Question
have 2 keys that only...
I have a Behringer CDP 2000 purchased some years back. I now have 2 keys that only sound a staccato note when played, even if the key remains depressed. The notes will sustain if the sustain pedal is held down. I also noticed that the key will play a second lighter note if the key is released more quickly. The volume on those notes tends to be louder on initial depression than surrounding keys when using the same force.
I am interested in knowing what the problem may be and how to take the action apart so that I may repair it, if possible.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
5/7/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: ITPeter, Electronics Engineer replied 1 year ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Hi Paul,If this happens when the keys are pressed with the same force, then the problem is usually caused by dirty sensors under the keys.The keyboard will need to be disassembled to properly clean the sensors, so a repair technician or someone with experience of the disassembly process will normally be required to do this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To me this is really a bit of non-answer. I specifically asked for some guidance on how to get into the mechanism. I am a handy guy and fix literally anything. I cannot find any advice that is repair in nature for this instrument. I would purchase a repair manual if I could find one. I have rebuilt car engines have spent time in electrical engineering classes. I build furniture. I am pretty handy.I asked for just wanted some guidance about how to get in there and how the action works, so I do not have to waste time. To me it appears that there are potentially 2 problems. One may very well be a dirty sensor, but there is definitely something mechanical going on since sustain on the bad keys can be achieved using the sustain pedal. that's where I was looking for advice about the actions of the keys, how they are put together, and their disassembly.
Hi Paul,This is a fairly common problem on all digital pianos, and the repair technique varies from model to model but is basically the same procedure for all - remove the screws and disassemble the keyboard to clean the contacts. The repair skills are learnt by the trade and there isn't any documentation available so I don't have any specific information for you Behringer. I know that other experts have reviewed this question but don't have anything additional to add either, so the closest I can offer you is a YouTube video which shows how the repair is carried out on a different model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KuzgXSS1kA You will find lots of similar videos on YouTube as well. This should be quite easy for a handy guy like you!Let me know how it works out for you..Pete.
Hi Paul, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?
ITPeter
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer