Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

To you ,I am in the process of replacing my fostex vf160 to…

Customer Question
hi to you ,I am...
hi to you ,I am in the process of replacing my fostex vf160 to the Tascam dp-32sd
I am a multi task musician and have home studio ,and want to start producing higher end recording at affordable price .is this a good choice or their a better choice .thanks in advance for your guidance
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/4/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is meant by 'better' varies. Do you mean cheaper? or higher-quality regardless of price?

Or do you mean the best quality for a given price?

In general terms the TASCAM dp-32sd is touted as "TASCAM's biggest PortaStudio yet."

It seems to have lots of capabilities, esp. the many tracks mixable and recordable.

Here are the specifications:

http://tascam.com/product/dp-32sd/specifications/

my question is this Tascam is it good enough to do a nice production recording of most times the limits are
appr 10 tracks incl drums ,bass, piano ,guitars acoustic and electric ,synthesisers and vocals that I compose
and arrange for myself and client songwriter that wants to perform their vocals to the music I compose and
arrange for them .if not good enough what is my next step. .thanks for your help

Up to eight tracks can be recorded at a time, is mentioned. You seem to need 10 tracks - all at once? or can you do two of them separately and mix them in?

If you must have 10 at once, simultaneously, this device cannot do that.

hanks for the remarks but I do one track at a time as I am the only musician doing all the instruments one after
the other .as for the vocals they are usually done by the artist songwriter .just want your opinion on the quality of
recorded sound I could achieve with this Tascam compare to other solution out there in a similar environment
I am not very computer program fan .in your opinion could I achieve good results with this type of equipment

I think you could do fine with it. (A glance at the Specs again:

Its frequency range is 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. That's audio range. Unless you want to record sub-sonic or sub-audible low frequencies, it's good.

Note: if you have an Apple computer, this device *may* have problems with MAC OS X versions past Mountain Lion (10.8).

(If that's all you need to know, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.)

compare to my fostex vf160 ,yhat would be quite ahead of the game would it and why

Comparing the Fostex with the TASCAM is difficult, like comparing apples to oranges.

The Fostex has both CD-R and hard drive storage. The TASCAM only has memory card storage.

What features do you really require, or want? in the successor to your Fostex.