Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Vintage guitar wiring problem - Gretsch 1959 guitar wiring…

Customer Question
Vintage guitar wiring problem -...
Vintage guitar wiring problem - Gretsch 1959 guitar wiring harness - when1/4 in. jack is plugged in it goes dead silent; if I touch jack to lead without touching ground it's noisey but the pickup transmits sound. all solders appear to be solid. Any idesa?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
2/24/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the jack probably needs replacing, if I've got the details you've mentioned down right.

A jack generally has an internal switch, that inserting the plug changes the position of. In that different position, the switch cuts off sound to the speakers, but still allows it through to the headphones.

Check whether the headphones still have sound. If they do, replacing the jack with a new one of the same type is probably what your wiring needs.