Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Samick Bass guitar: it's been reliable and

Customer Question
never had problems until recently...
i have a Samick Bass guitar: it's been reliable and never had problems until recently: it's making a horrible noise when I move the jack a certain way, and someone said it was the jack itself with a loose wire...but i took it apart and both wires are securely soldered to the jack. Do i just need to replace the jack itself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
2/22/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Don't know what else i can provide: took bass apart and saw that both leads to the jack were secure. yet, when I moved it during a performance it created an awful sound that was only silence when i moved the jack to a certain position....I thought that meant the jack was "jacked"

Good pun! It might be, but also consider the cable you are plugging into it. Either could be the cause. If the cable is OK. Then replace the jack. It can be the connections inside the jack that are causing the problem.