Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My Yamaha Portable Grand DGS 620 has a damaged screen. When…

Customer Question
my Yamaha Portable Grand DGS...
my Yamaha Portable Grand DGS 620 has a damaged screen. When it is on, the image on the screen is distorted and no sound is produced. There is no response to pressing any keys or functions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
2/9/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: MasterFixIt, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Customer Service

Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your Yamaha Piano?

Were there any storms or power outages just prior to this event?

Thank you

Tech Michael

The piano is 6 years old. I am not sure about storms or power outages.

Hi thanks for that info. Did this fail during operation or was this way when turned on one day?

Thanks

Tech Michael

It was not used for a year or more, so I cannot be sure what happened. Please let me know what I can do to repair it and what would be the approximate costs.

I meant to say Thanks lol, keys sticking

When I plug in the instrument, the light is on on the screen. There is a visible damage on the screen surface. There is some display on a half of the screen. The displayed image does not change when I press any buttons or keys.
Could you give me any useful information, please, for instance - where I can go (any stores?) to check and repair the instrument, or to find out if it can be repaired. Thank you.

Hi Thank you for your patience, as this is a technical issue. DOes it look like the piano was hit and physically damaged, or just that the display appears with problems?

Also I need to knwo if the piano will play? If you try to play the keys do you get sound? IS it normal? etc?

Thanks, ***** ***** tell me exactly what you need to fix your piano;-)

Tech Michael

I cannot tell if the piano was physically hit, but it was placed on its side for some time.
When turned on, I see random blob of white pixels on the screen that do not go away.
Also some pink vertical lines on the screen.
Piano does not play.
NO SOUND is produced by pressing any keys.
Pink lines on the screen change when I press random buttons
Body of the piano is not physically damaged
I will appreciate your prompt advice

Hi thanks so much for that.

This isn't a display issues even though it appears a such.

The problem is more than likely the main power supply section of the piano has a problem and no longer supplying the correct current the unit needs internally.

This is not likely an expensive repair but it doesn't require testing by a skilled technician to determine the exact component failure and replace that part.

I wish I had better news for you but its a good thing the display is likely ok as that would have been an expensive part to replace.

The power supply is much cheaper even if they replaced the entire board which I doubt they will do.

Sear may take this in for repair Also BEst Buy as well;-)

Also you may have a local keyboard piano repair tech nearby?

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated.

There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Tech Michael