Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

How do I connect a Kurzweil PC88 to Pro Tools LE 8.0.0

Customer Question
How do I connect...

How do I connect a Kurzweil PC88 to Pro Tools LE 8.0.0 updated to 8.0.1. I connected the midi in to midi out and visa versa, but I. I haven't been able to record midi.

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The operating system is Windows 10. I tried to use the monitor out from the PC88 to the line in on the M Box, but it doesn't record. I don't know if it's because the PC88 only has the audio out.

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electronic Musical Instruments Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
1/20/2016
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hi, thanks for requesting me. If you're trying to record your performance, midi isn't the way to go. Let's take a look at your options.

In Pro Tools, go to your setup menu, and select I/O. Click the input tab, and make sure your M-audio is selected to input channel 1-2. Connect PC88 audio out to M-audio inputs. Create a new stereo audio track, arm the track, hit record, and play something.

If M-audio isn't showing up in your I/O settings, your M-audio isn't compatible with Win10, or the drivers are not installed. To work around this, use a dual 1/4" male from your keyboard's audio out to your 1/8" mic input on your computer. Be sure your computer's sound card is select in your I/O settings, and you should be able to record on an audio track.

If you still have trouble, connect midi in to midi out/ vice versa. In your midi settings in your setup menu, select your midi interface, and be sure it's set to channel 1. Now, when you go to create a track, don't select an audio track, you want an INSTRUMENT TRACK. That is what you use for midi. You'll need to assign a virtual instrument to your plugins to hear any playback. Midi doesn't contain any audio, only commands to play a virtual instrument.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional