How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rusty Your Own Question
Rusty, Music Professional
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Satisfied Customers: 5909
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
Type Your Electronic Musical Instruments Question Here...
Rusty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a roland hp203 and I feel that the quality of sound

Customer Question

I have a roland hp203 and I feel that the quality of sound has deteriorated since I bought it 5 yeqrs ago. It sounds muffled. Is that possible ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, that is possible, especially since you say the headphones sound great. The headphones use a separate amplifier to get their sound. It's possible for one to deteriorate and not the other.

You can have your amplifiers rebuilt, but it's not going to be the cheapest repair. The good thing is, you have two major Roland factory service centers in Canada, one at the Vancouver office location (5480 Parkwood Way, Richmond BC,V6V 2M4,(###) ###-#### ***** one at the Mississauga office location (170 Admiral Boulevard, Mississauga ON, L5T 2N6,(###) ###-####.

If you're electronically inclined, and you know your way around an amp circuit, you can order parts directly from their parts department,(###) ###-####ext.108.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What part in the amplifier do you think needs replacing that affects sound ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

It's the actual amplifier, unless your capacitors have bulged or leaked. Leaky capacitors leave behind a white powder. Sometimes they go bad and don't send enough current to the amp, causing it to sound a bit weak. If you don't see white powder or bulged caps, you'll need to replace the amplifier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a common occurrence ? and is there any way I can determine that the amplifier is , in fact defective ? Perhaps using
specific powered speakers in the headphone output ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Powered speakers in the headphone socket is a completely acceptable way of connecting to a PA. Does that model have the L/R output? Those will work as well, and they use different amplifiers. You have one for your headphones, one for the speakers, and one for the line out. Each amplifier has a separate left and a right amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help Rusty . One final question, is it a common occurrence that the amp would deteriorate ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

All of them deteriorate over time, they get used and wear out. I usually switch to a headphone or line out when my amps go out, there is no difference in sound, and it saves me from buying a new amp.