How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rusty Your Own Question
Rusty, Music Professional
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Satisfied Customers: 5888
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
Type Your Electronic Musical Instruments Question Here...
Rusty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just purchased the Tascam DP 32sd. From what I

Customer Question

I have just purchased the Tascam DP 32sd. From what I understand I will need certain programs for my computer so that it will master the imported songs loud enough so that when I burn it on CD and then play that CD on a CD player it will be loud enough so that I don't have to turn the volume to the max.
Which programs would those be,where do I purchase them and are there explanations as to how to properly use them? I believe that one of those programs is a limiter. Is that true?
Thanks for reading,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, a limiter is part of mastering, it's more of a compression unit with a limiter. It allows the frequencies to hit a ceiling before being stopped, so that the audio goes as high as possible without clipping. There are tons of programs out there, Pro Tools with Bluecat is what I use for mastering, but you shouldn't have to worry about that. Your DP32 has a mastering program built in.

Click here and look at page 15. You already have the hardware and software to master your recordings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is my problem. I also have the Tascam 24sd with built in CD player. After I recorded a song I followed the manual and also followed along with the David Wills video tutorial and used the mastering tools to master it. I then burnt the song onto CD. I played the burnt CD on a regular CD player but it just wasn't loud enough. I later found out that the mastering tools in the DP 24 just isn't capable of making a burnt CD that loud and that I would have to import the song into my computer and use some sort of limiter to make it even louder. I figured I would just use the 24 with the built in burner so that I wouldn't have to bother with trying to use a computer. I was wrong.
I also have the DP 32sd without the built in burner. So I figure that after I record with the 32 and I import the songs into the computer I will still have to use some sort of computer plug in limiter to make the song (that I will burn onto disc with my computer) loud enough to hear on my regular CD player. So the question is this: I have no idea of where to purchase this plug in limiter nor how to use it nor how I would then use it to burn the (hopefully) now louder song onto CD. I am very computer illiterate. So I need all the help that I can get.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I've had that problem with the all in one recorders as well. Click here. I am showing you this one because it's a platform, not a plugin, so this is all the software you will need. It also has a free trial. With this software, you can listen in real time, dial in your parametric EQ, then use the maximizer to get the most volume out of your songs.

Related Electronic Musical Instruments Questions