Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have a US-1800 and cannot get audio out from my iMac. Not

Customer Question
monitors or phones. but it...
I have a US-1800 and cannot get audio out from my iMac. Not monitors or phones. but it works fine when I overdub my recordings.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
I'm using audacity but i cannot get audio out from iTunes or just playing an mp3 file.
9/2/2015
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is Rusty. Thanks you for the details, since it won't play from iTunes, that tells me that your audio settings in your iMac aren't correct. Audacity uses the current settings, unlike Pro Tools which makes you select the audio device.

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup (in the Utilities folder in Launchpad).
  2. Choose the US-100 from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window.

That should get everything working. It sounds like your input is already set to the Tascam, let me know if you have any trouble.

Hi, Thank you for your reply.
I have the device listed on the left panel but still no audio out. The master/channel volume slides are all grayed and unable to move. CTRL+CLICK shows the "use this device for sound output" grayed and unable to select.
I also tried with Garage Band and still same issue.
By the way, Audacity does let me select and I tried both US-1800 options (Bit Accurate and Core Audio) with same result. I tried changing the format frequency as well, no audio out...
It is like the MAC is not sending audio out to that device.

Ok, click here. The ASIO4ALL driver will usually fix that. Since you're unable to move the faders, there seems to be a lack of communication between your Mac and the interface. Let me know the results.

this downloaded two files: PGBUSB Audio driver, that according to the instructions, must go to System/library/extensions; and another file called USB-ASIO Driver. I don't know where to put that file or how to install it...
The instructions say to put it in the "ASIO DRIVERS' folder of the application I want to use, but none of them has such folder...
Now I installed another interface: AVID Fast Track 600 and it works OK. Seems to be a problem related to the US-1800 software/drivers/whatever?
I really need the US-1800 since I'm recording acoustic drums, using the 8 channels at once.

Sorry for the delay, I'm on the West Coast USA. The ASIO driver is what you need to install. Don't put it anywhere, just open the file, and your computer will put it in the correct place. That is usually the solution for all interfaces.

if i try to open the USB-ASIO Driver the computer puts this on screen:There is no application set to open the document “USB-ASIO Driver”.

To be clear, you're opening the .dmg file, right?

From your link, the .dmg file only opens a download manager. After download is complete, you got a file called usb_asio.sit
That file needs an expander app to open, which leads to a folder called USB_ASIO
In that folder, I got 3 files: install.pdf (see attached); PGUSBAudio Driver and USB-ASIO Driver
That's where I'm stucked...

Are you able to open the USB-ASIO driver?

No. that's where I get theThere is no application set to open the document “USB-ASIO Driver” sign

Ok, and in your Mac audio settings, is the interface selected as your default output device?

Under 'Sounds' it is, but in 'audio devices' I cannot select 'use this device for sound output' when I do Control+
click.
With the Fast Track 600, I can do all right.

Which OS version are you using? With Mac core audio, sometimes the input will work, but not the output, and vice versa. I want to make sure the 1800 is completely compatible.

Yosemite 10.10.5

Ok, that is compatible. Click here. Install the driver for Yosemite, and that should allow you to select the 1800 as your output device.

I already installed that driver before contacting you... It was the first thing I did...

Hmm, this is not normal... Are you able to hear audio from your computer's headphone output?

except when the 1800 is on. Also audio is OK from internal speakers and with the Fast Track 600 as well...
Only the 1800 has trouble.
And by the way, I used it before in a windows 7 machine with no issues...

It's the core audio that is giving us the problem, Mac works differently than Windows 7. The trouble is getting the interface and Mac to speak the same language, which is what the driver is supposed to do. Something is getting in the way, and I'm not quite sure what. Delete the driver, and install it again. Sometimes other devices can take priority, causing this issue. Reinstalling the driver will sometimes put it out in front so it's first in line when booting.

No luck. Still same issue after reinstalling the driver..

I'm going to have to open this question back up. I don't know if there will be a solution to the problem, there is a conflict with another device, and those can be impossible to find.

I uninstalled the Fast Track 600 and re installed the 1800 from scratch and still same thing. This also happened BEFORE I installed the FT600 the first time.
Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional