Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a constant hum through the speakers of our Allen Organ

Customer Question

I have a constant hum through the speakers of our Allen Organ but I'm getting no sound from the organ with stops pulled, from any rank.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If an electrician had a look, that no doubt determined that main fuse (if any, in your Allen Organ) is OK, power is being provided, etc.
Hum without sound, under conditions of adequate and proper power provided, signifies that the amplifier circuitry has had a vital piece of the circuitry that 'creates' the amplification, go bad. In simple terms, the amplifier is broken, and will need to be fixed, by a qualified expert at both electronics repairs and Allen Organs of the type you have.
I cannot guess, from here, just where the component that is defective would be located. But I can say two things for sure:
1. the problem is, oddly enough, not one of the more severe problems. One component, in a limited part of the total circuitry, has gone bad - perhaps two or three, if so, most likely minor ones. This should be easy to have fixed, if you hire someone genuinely qualified.
2. also, try this test: vary the volume control. Does the hum vary in volume? whether or not, whether the hum is constant or varies up and down according to the volume control level, will determine a little extra data for the electronics repair-person.
To some extent what is determined by that test would just be, whether the problem is behind the volume control, or past it. (-Speaking in terms of the 'signal flow' that creates the sound, through the amplifier circuitry.)
If you tell me your locale, I can research several prospects to contact that would have both the repair ability in general, and the Allen Organ experience (for certain in most cases, or hopefully if not certainly in some cases), in or near your locale, that could repair this electronics and amplification error in your Allen Organ.
It might help also, if you told me something about the year, and the model, of Allen Organ that you have.
Thanks. (If this completes the question as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer - favorably - so that I may be paid for the work and care I have spent on your question.)