MusicTech14
MusicTech14, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments
60974588

Hi, I have an old Yamaha Cvp 207, and there is no sound when

I have an old Yamaha Cvp 207, and there is no sound when i play.
but if i use an external expander i can hear sound from the expander connected to the midi output of the cvp.
or if i use an external audio source plugged in input of the cvp, the audio sound can be hear.
So it seems like all midi, audio monitor works, but only the sounds of notes from the keyboard don't work.
So is it a problem on Motherboard Or not ?
Thanks in advance
Jaona
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MusicTech14 replied 5 years ago.

You have done some very good troubleshooting. You have confirmed that the keys work, and that the analog audio circuitry works to some extent. That leaves a few other possibilities. One is that the digital sound generating circuitry is not working, and the other is that there is just a settings issue that needs to be corrected. I am hoping it is a settings issue.

A common settings issue that causes these symptoms on a keyboard is for MIDI Local Control to be inadvertently turned off. If that is the case, then simply go into the MIDI menu and turn Local Control on. You can also go to the SYSTEM RESET tab of the UTILITY menu and press the button next to MIDI SETUP to reset all the MIDI settings.

As a side note, A quick way to check if the problem is caused by the local control setting is to plug a MIDI cable between In and Out of the Clavinova (so it sends MIDI to itself) and see if the sound comes back.

Sometimes the programming in electronic devices gets a little confused. As a last resort, a factory reset may help correct strange problems. To perform the factory reset on the CVP, go to the SYSTEM RESET tab of the UTILITY menu and press buttons 1 and 2 under the display. This will set most things back to how they where out of the box and will erase custom settings. So make sure you save any custom sounds or songs.

If the resets don't work then there is probably a hardware issue that will require service. Lets hope that isn't necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all things you said me but no way! The problem persist!
My question is:
1. Can you identify (by your experience) which part of the mother board should be replaced ? Have you the reference of the concerned parts ?
2. If motherboard need to be replaced completely, Do you know where can i find it ? And what is the reference of this ? Can you advise me?

Thanks
A motherboard is a very complicated thing and there are a lot of things that could go wrong resulting in no sound. It is not possible to determine what part may need to be replaced based on just a symptom description. To determine what is wrong, a technician would have to go in and test the board to componet level, starting with a visual inspection and following up by checking voltages, clock signals, and data and address lines.

Complicating things is that the problem may not even be on the main board. The CVP-207 has a daughter board connected to the main board that is part of the audio generating circuit. What you may want to do is make sure that board is securely plugged in as well as all the other connectors.

To go beyond that, I would strongly advise having a qualified technician look at it. Internally, you are dealing with small surface mount soldered electronic components, which are not easy for a novice to work on. The only other option, guessing at which boards may be bad, could get very expensive. For example, the daughter board, as listed by Yamaha's US parts web site, is $365.79 (Part # XXXXX ).

The main board is part # XXXXX and is listed as "not orderable"

The web site address for ordering Yamaha parts in the US is https://www.yamaha24x7.com/
If you are in another country you should contact the distributor in that country for information on how to order parts. You can find international distributor information at http://www.yamaha.com/