David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

I have a Hypertough 3200 Lumen 4ft LED light fixture 27th.

I have a Hypertough 3200 Lumen 4ft LED light fixture 27th
JA: Have you talked to an electrician about your fixture?
Customer: I'm trying to now
JA: What have you tried so far with your fixture?
Customer: There is 4 wires that come out of the porch ceiling. No matter what I try when the fixture is hooked up it STAYS on even when the switch it's hooked to is off. I just bought a new switch but that didn't fix the problem. PLEASE HELP!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is an old house so I don't have a ground wire.

Welcome to Just Answer, Hello… My name is Dave, I will be assisting you shortly, please allow me a few moments to review your post and type my reply.

What are the colors of each wire?

Also do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? Not a pen type voltage detector but a 2 wire tester.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
2 white & 2 black.

If you can upload clear photos so I can see what you have, that will help.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Wait, let see if I can find it. I think I know where it is.

Very good

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can't find it, but I do have the pen

Okay we will try without. See if you can identify which wire has 120v continuous power and let me know the color.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've never used a pen before. Do I connect it to the box for ground?

If it is a pen type detector that lights and beeps, you can touch it to the individual wires to see which one makes the pen light up

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But it has a clip. Where do I connect that?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I connected it to the white wire thento the black & it blew the bulb

You do not connect the tester to multiple wires. If it is a pen type it is insulated and only tests one wire at a time. A clip sounds like so other type of tester.

Please upload a clear photo so I can see what you have, then I can advise better.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer attachment 3/25/2020 12:03:52 AM

Were the black and white wires in the same plastic jacket?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is a set like that. I tried using them...

Recommend removing the orange cap for now and let's sort out the wires. If you want you can connect the neutral wire of the light fixture to the white wire you tested only, do not connect any other wires yet.

When that is done, remove the wall switch and tell me what colors are the 2 wires connected to the switch. Photo will also help.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer attachment 3/25/2020 12:09:14 AM
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Should I remove the electrical tape from the other 2 wires?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At the light fixture

No. Does either switch turn anything on?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At the switch, the bottom 1 controls a ceiling fan inside, which is working fine

Just to confirm the fan is actually on right now?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Lights & blades

Okay, In order to continue we need a 2 wire voltage tester to sort the wires out. Here is a link to an example tester.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-110-220V-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester-VT-8900R/202520892

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, I'm going right now. I'll let you know when I get home.

Very good

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm home. Home Depot was closed so I bought a set 1st Wal-Mart with 3 testers

Okay let's see what you have

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer attachment 3/25/2020 1:11:01 AM

Okay you'll use the multimeter not the pen tester or outlet tester.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's the best they had

It'll work

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I got it open, need to put batteries in

Select 200 V 2 clicks to the right. 1 test lead in COM and the other lead in AC Volts. I was not able to see if that is the top or middle hole due to the glare.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does it matter which color lead that I put on each connection, because I think it matters for DC
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer attachment 3/25/2020 1:26:12 AM

Does not matter on leads, one bottom on middle. Do not use the top 10A position

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
�� now what

Standby

Set the dial 2 clicks to the right so you are on 200v ac

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Got that

The photo has it set 2 clicks to the left which is 200vdc, we want 200vac which is on the right

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry about that

Make sure the light fixture is off completely. Then test 1 black wire to the metal ceiling box and let me know if you have 120v. If not try the other black wire to the metal box. It does not matter which leads you use.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The light fixture is completely disconnects

Okay

Let me know the voltages

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I do that
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Touch 1 black then touch the other lead to each, then do it again with the other black wire?

Place 1 lead on a black wire, then the other lead on the metal box. It will either read 120v or 0v. Let me know what it is, then repeat with the other black wire tested to the metal box

How you doing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I reads 34.7 & the other reads 37.0

Okay make sure the switch is in the ON position and test again and let's see if we get a different reading.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Then it's 34.3 & 39.4
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Same order as first readings

Okay test only one Black wire to a white wire, then to the other white wire, let me know those voltages.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I used the short black wire, with the switch off & got 122.9. With the white wire that was wrapped I got 19.0

Okay that black wire with 122.9 test it again with the switch on and off and see if the power goes off. Test it to a white wire that gives you 120v.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
With the switch I got 122.9 & 0 - respectively

Okay. If that wire gives us both 120 and 0v with the switch on and off, that wire goes to the light fixture. Mark that wire as switch wire.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. But, why does it stay I all the time? That's the problem I'm trying to fix

Based on your test it went to 0v when the switch was turned off correct?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Wait! It went to 19.0 with that black wire & the white that was wrapped

Does it go to 120v with the switch in the on position? Then back to 19v when off?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
SORRY, that's wrong! It stayed basically 0-19 with the white that was wrapped
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
0 with switch off & 19 with it on

Okay do the same test on the other Black wire and tell me those voltages.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
With the switch on-black wire that was wrapped to the short white was 119.2 & with the wrapped white was 0.2. With the switch off 125.8/short & 48.7 wrapped

What I am looking for is the wire that connects to the switch. The switch should cut the power off and on and repeat when tested to the white wire.

What I am concerned with is that one white wire is going to the switch, but I can't confirm it yet.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
RIGHT, but I'm not finding it.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm frustrated right now. Please go back through the numbers to see if I missed it

Okay lets test a black wire to each white and let me know when you have 120v

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Switch on or off?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Or both?

Both

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Both black wires with the switch on are near 120

I am looking for either the switch wire or the continuous 120v power wire

I am also looking for the neutral wire, which is the only wire that will give 120v when tested to a black wire.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What I'm trying to find is howto make the switch to the fixture to work correctly. I don't have a problem with getting power...it's getting it to turn off when the switch is off.

The switch is a stack switch, the white wire is the 120v power. Where does that wire come from. From the ceiling box were testing or somewhere else?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I really don't know, I'm guessing the breaker circuit. That breaker controls most of the lights in the house. There is a ceiling fan closer breaker then this switch-which makes the most sense from what I learned years ago.

Lets test the switch itself. Place one test lead on the black screw and the other on a ground. Do this with the switches OFF. I want to know if you have 120v or 0v on each terminal.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's brand new, remember

Please test.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
For the 1 I'm working on 17.0 - for the ceiling fan 15.8

That is in the off position correct? If so turn the switch on one at a time and test each black wire to ground and let me know those voltages.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Switches on 9.8 & 9.6
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Butt that's just going to the ground
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Actually that switch is not grounded

Okay try turning them on one at a time and test to ground. I want to confirm each switch works independently, and isn't coming on when it is off.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
With both switches on 0.0
& 0.0. With both switches of 16.2 & 122.0 That's going across from the black to the white on each switch
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Switches on 9.8 & 9.6, ground to black with switches on, ground to black

Each switch should give you 120v when tested to ground, not the white wire on the other side of the switch. If the switches are not giving you that voltage something is cross wired.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does that mean 1 of the wires to the ceiling fan goes to the porch light?

If the switch was wired 1 for fan and 2 for porch light, removing the porch light black wire from the switch will confirm if the wire in the ceiling box is still live. Removing the wire should produce 0v

I am also curious what the other wire set is for? Does power come into the box then go to the switch box, or does the power come from the switch box and go somewhere else?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm not that good of an electrician, I can troubleshoot & fix most things, but I don't know exactly how the wiring was ran so many years ago.

I understand, and no worries, you are doing just fine. What I am having trouble with is you have 2 white wires in the ceiling, which is fine provided 1 white wire is being used for power to a switch which your switch has, however the problem is the switch is still live and the white wires in the ceiling are disconnected, so where is the power coming from and what is the white wire in the ceiling going to? One white wire should be a neutral. If the non neutral wire is going to the switch it would return back to the ceiling box on the black wire. So far your tests have not confirmed this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
After removing the black wire from the switch & switches off porch 0.6 & ceiling fan 13.0 With the switches on porch 7.0 & ceiling fan 16.2, those are black to ground

Would it be easier if we did this over the phone?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Call me, 337-735-6973

I will do so once you have initiated the phone call request.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I do that? I tried calling this number...

There should be an option to requesting a phone call offer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When I call this number?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, it hung up on me. Through an email?

I sent you an offer from my end

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is that $30 extra oris it included in my trial?

Yes the fees are set by JA I have no control over them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can't. My husband is deaf & gets very little SSI & no SSID. I'm on inactive status at work.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's 10:30 here & I haven't eaten all day. I'll try this again tomorrow - or the next day.

Very good, get some rest we can continue later.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just contact you through here tomorrow?

Yes I will reply once I see your posting.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
��

Bye

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your time & patience. Good night

You're welcome

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My deaf husband also says to tell you thank you

Very much appreciated!!!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you there?

Good morning

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm putting in a ceiling fan. It has 4 wires, 1 black 1 white & 2 green. 1 of the green is twisted to the black. What do I do with the other green because like I told this is an old house & I have no ground. BTW, this time I only have 2 wires coming out the ceiling.

Okay send me a photo so I can see it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer attachment 3/25/2020 5:46:42 PM
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry, I thought it was 2 green.

4 wires as follows:

Green is the ground

White is the neutral

Blue is the light fixture

Black is the fan

Black and Blue stay together so you can use the pull chains.

Recommend verifying the neutral wire in the ceiling. You can do this by using an extension cord and testing the wires that way. Place 1 test lead in the neutral slot and the other on one of the wires in the ceiling. Turn the switch on, when you get 120v that is the hot wire. connect the black and blue wires to that wire. The ground and neutral can be connected together to the neutral wire in the ceiling.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
So, the white & green are to be connected together, right?

If the fan bracket has a green screw attach it to that, if not connect the white and green together.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I have a few tasks I want to finish before I get back to the porch light. Have a good day.

Very good, in the meantime please note that I am not an employee of Just Answer, I’m a compensated independent expert, and a user of this site, just like you. Since this question has been answered, please take a moment and select the 5 Stars before leaving today so I may receive full credit for assisting you, and as always you can come back to this question anytime even after it has been rated. Also, you may have seen other experts insisting on tips, for me they are always earned and appreciated, never expected.

Thank you very much for doing this and enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I give the l rating? I don't see a way from here.

In order to automatically close out the question the 5 Stars need to be Green. You can do this simply by moving the mouse cursor over the stars and they should turn Green. I appreciate you taking the time to do this and if you have any problems please let me know and I will have customer support close the question out.

Best,

Dave

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm doing this from my phone

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely appreciate it. If you need assistance with a different question, just let me know by starting the question “For Dave Bowden”, that way other experts will leave it alone.

Best,

Dave

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok

Very good

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm very happy with the service provided, although we didn't solve the problem...yet. I do intend to use his services again.

Very good and when you're ready to continue just let me know.