Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Experience:  Maintenance Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Locomotive Electrician
16916066

I noticed a burning smell that seemed to be near an outlet.

I noticed a burning smell that seemed to be near an outlet. It's a 3 prong. When I pulled the plug that was in it, it had black gunk on one prong. Is that a problem?
JA: Have you talked to an electrician about your outlet?
Customer: Not yet. This was Friday morning before work, so I have to wait until Monday.
JA: How long has this been going on with your outlet? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just noticed it Friday am. I haven't tried anything because I know zero about electrical stuff.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope.

Hello, yes that seems like a problem. Either loose internal brass inside the receptacle or loose wiring connections at the back of the receptacle. You should turn off power to that circuit and inspect the wiring and replace the receptacle

Let me know if that answers your question or if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
yes, it answers my question. thx.

If there's nothing else I can help you with, please rate my answer from 3 to 5 stars so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer