Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am installing a dog door to an outside wall of my house.

Customer Question
Unexpectedly I have a electrical...
I am installing a dog door to an outside wall of my house. Unexpectedly I have a electrical line in the way - see picture. I want to move this line higher above the dog door cutout. Can I just splice in a few feet of the same electrical wire using inline wire connectors and be AOK with code?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Electrical
5/31/2018
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 24 days ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

No photo is attached.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
don't see where to attach photo

Normally splices are not allowed inside a wall unless there is a junction box installed. You can use the paperclip icon to attach photos.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
don't see the paperclip either, where would it be located?

Just above the text box. The paperclip is the last icon. If it is not there, the problem may be the internet browser is not 100% compatible. This site works best on Google Chrome.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. Using FireFox, switching to Chrome. will be back.

Okay

Perfect... whats the green wire?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Not sure. The house is wired for sound so assuming it is speaker wire or similar. Since the wire is probably low voltage I was going to splice it also and assumed it would not take a junction box, correct?OK. so I will need a junction box on both ends of the 2-3 foot piece I would be splicing in. Specically what would the type of junction box look like? Got a pic?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Question about the 2-3 foot splice in was for the white line.

Since it is Romex wire you can use a Carlon plastic electrical nail on box on either side. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and have quick holes for the Romex. Just make sure to use the same size Romex wire and make the splices, color to color. Once done finish the drywall, paint, and install a blank outlet cover. You might be able to save a couple of steps and some material if you have access to the other boxes if you don't have to open any more drywall.

Here is a link to the box

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-18-cu-in-Zip-Box-Non-Metallic-Switch-and-Outlet-Box-Blue-B118A/202546986

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. I can use "plastic inline splicers" that each individual wire plugs into as the connectors and that is AOK?

Yellow wire nuts are better, rather than a male/female type splice or butt splices.

Here is a link to those, you can get in a small pack of 5

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-451-Yellow-Wing-Nut-Wire-Connectors-100-Pack-30-451P/202894276

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK.
Do I need to provide the blank outlet cover? Is this so that there is some indication that there is a junction box and splice behind the wall?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I plan on placing the junction boxes above the dog door cutout. I was not planning on cutting out the drywall where the junction box would be.

You can install an outlet or a blank cover, your choice. If you want you can place 1 of the boxes on the exterior wall and have an outlet on the exterior. You would just need a GFCI and weather proof cover. Then it would look a little more appealing and give some functionality.

Understand... I was just thinking it might be a little easier and could be located at the same height as the other outlets. Not sure if you need to do some minor framing also.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do I have to install an outlet or a cover? My preference would be to have nothing. Just splicing in the piece of Romex so I can get the line above the dog door opening so I can install the dog door.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will be doing some minor framing.

A blank cover is fine if you don't want to plug in anything. This will make the job code compliant.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
code requires a blank cover to indicate there is a junction box behind it, correct?

Correct

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK. Summary.
1) have to have junction box for each splicing so will have two to get the insert of 2 feet of Romex
2) use same type of wire in Romex, connecting same color wire to wire - should be 3 wires
3) use yellow nut caps for connectors
4) have to have black covers or outlet wired in where each new junction box is to be code compliantDo I have it all?

That's it

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks David. Will be back at it tomorrow and maybe Saturday. If I have any questions or problems I will be back. Thanks for the help!
Few thousand more questions and I may be on my way to being a Master. LOL!!

If possible you should also staple the wire within 10" of the boxes. Not a big deal but if you want here is the link.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-2-Conductor-Metal-Staples-100-Pack-MS-150/202520396

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK. Is that just to make sure it doesn't dislodge from the connection?

Correct... Hopefully it will all go easy for you.

It has been my pleasure assisting you with your question today, however if you need additional service please let me know and we can continue with this posting.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave