Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am installing an exhaust fan/light in my bathroom,

Customer Question
I am installing an...

I am installing an exhaust fan/light in my bathroom, replacing the exact setup that was there. When I turn everything on it works fine and then when I flip the switch off the breaker trips. Can’t understand why.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today as the original fan burnt out and today I decided to replace it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
5/27/2018
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 2 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, there could be a loose connection somewhere. Try looking in the switch box for loose or burned wires. Look in the ceiling connection box too
Already did that and everything is tight and no burning
Do you have a spare outlet kicking around that you could use for a test?
Sure
Ok, unwire the exhaust fan unit and temporarily wire up the receptacle to the ceiling box. Wrap around the receptacle with electrical tape so that it covers the terminal screws completely. Then plug in a hair dryer and set aside so it isn't resting on anything flammable. Then turn power on and turn on test receptacle by way of the switch as you would operate the fan. Turn off by switch and see if the same thing happens
the hairdryer works. The power is going into the light and fan and then wired down to the switch instead of through the switch up to the fan. This is how the original set up was done and I can’t figure out how to replicate it.
Oh maybe I misunderstood your situation. So when you turn power on at the breaker the fan starts running and if you flip the switch to turn off it trips the breaker?
exactly
Oh ok. Can you describe the wiring in the ceiling box or take a pic and upload it?
Just figured it out, thanks anyway.
Ok