Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My fan will not turn off with the remote. i did turn off the…

Customer Question
My fan will not...

My fan will not turn off with the remote. i did turn off the power to the room and still the same thing. what should I do?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The light works fine and turns off and on. it is just the fan.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
5/25/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Are you saying that you kill power to the circuit breaker that powers the room and the fan still works?

2) Have you checked if the transmitter battery is a fresh battery?

3) Have you confirmed that the receiver and transmitter DIP switch settings are matching?

this fan was installed a month ago. the battery should be fresh. what is DIP switch
can't this be done typing?

1) The fan receiver and the handheld transmitter both contain a 4 position DIP switch setting. Both must be matching with the same 1/0 codes.

If you are getting an offer for a phone call, it is the web site that is sending that request and it is not originating from me.

what do I do to get the fan to turn off?

1) Confirm if the DIP switch settings are matching.

2) The problem can also be a defective receiver, especially if the fan is a cheap manufacturer.

3) If the receiver is located under the ceiling canopy cover plate and if you have a multimeter, you can confirm voltage on the output of the receiver on the fan motor wire using the handheld transmitter. This will confirm if the receiver is defective. Common problem on cheap ceiling fans.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)