Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My ceiling fan doesn't turn on with the remote now. I put a…

My ceiling fan doesn't...

My ceiling fan doesn't turn on with the remote now. I put a new battery in the remote. There is power to the unit. Could it be the receiver?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

No. Does that mean to turn off power at the breaker? (I don't know where a power switch for it is).

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where is the receiver physically located, so I can check to see if the dip switches are set to the remote transmitter. Could that have changed by itself? I haven't changed anything and I used to work.

5/14/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Most fans will have the receiver located under the ceiling canopy cover. Although, some fans can have the receiver inside the fan motor housing area. The canopy cover is the most common location.

2) Does that fan have pull chains to control the motor and a light kit?

3) Do you have a multimeter to confirm voltages at the output of the receiver?

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
No
Chris Parson
Chris Parson, Electrician
Phone call session started