Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I had a bad light fixture in bath. Replaced fixture w/ new…

Customer Question
I had a bad...

I had a bad light fixture in bath. Replaced fixture w/ new one. No power. I have continuity.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

20 min

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I have vtvm

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do not know How to verify hot voltage at switch.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
4/3/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) How many house wires and the wire colors in the light box?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to confirm and measure voltage?

3) How many wires and the wire colors terminated to the wall switch?

2 wires, ( B&W)+ bare gnd.

Klein ET200 VTVM

I get continuity, but cannot detect 120v.

Do not want to electrocute myself.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Where are you measuring voltage from? At the wall switch or at the ceiling hot and neutral wires?

2) How many wires and the wire colors terminated to the wall switch?

Tried both. Not dure if I wad measuring correctly. Got 0v, eitger place.

1) Set the meter to the 200 volt AC setting and measure a known working wall receptacle from a different circuit to confirm the meter is working correctly. Place 1 meter lead into the long slot of the receptacle and the 2nd meter lead into the short slot of the receptacle. Should measure approx 120 volts.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that hep to answer your question?