Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have a duplex outlet totally controlled with two 3 way…

Customer Question
We have a duplex...

We have a duplex outlet totally controlled with two 3 way switches. While replacing both (redecorating) I cannot get them to function as 3 ways. Switch 1 has white, black and red wires while switch 2 has (2) white wires and a red.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

One day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/30/2018
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 3 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, do these switches have other switches in the box with them?

switch 2 in in a box with another 3 way for a different circuit

ok, could you pull out both switches in that box and take a picture so I can see all the wiring in the box? Also a pic of the single switch and its box too. You can upload them here

I don't see an upload link. Do I use the + add files link?

it's usually a paperclip icon near the text input

could be the add files link

OK. Won't be today though.

ok, maybe we can try it another way. I'm thinking you got some wires crossed when you changed the switches. Can you described all the wires in switch box 2? Even the ones not connected to the switch

How many, what colors and what's connected together, what's in the same cable?

Attached are some pics and descriptions (pdf file)

ok, I'm looking at this now

you said switch B1 is on another circuit breaker? Also, if you could pull the wire bundles out straight so I can see what is going where better and upload a pic.

Also, I believe you are calling the bare copper/aluminum neutrals when they are ground wires

Actually, first I want you to try switching positions of the black and white wire of switch A1 (black wire will now be on black terminal screw) and check function of switches. If it doesn't work put the red on the black terminal screw and try that. Let me know how it goes

Switched back and white --no change. Is your second suggestion to leave white in its new position and swap red for black?

No, put it back the way it was before and then swap white and red

OK--meanwhile some more pics of A2/B1 box attached

got it

any luck?

Red white swap gives 100% no power at any toggle positions. I have doen a voltage check on each switch with toggles at varying settings. Sometimes I get 117 volts between a pair of terminals and sometimes 0.When I check say A1 with toggle up (no power) then go to A2 and switch its toggle position to what should be power on, I'll get a reading of 70 volts at A1 on a terminal pair.

Ok, could you pull the light fixture so we can see what wires are in the ceiling box?

No need the issue has been solved using info from other sources.

ok good. What was the problem?

The info I got was to disconnect both switches, probe each wire to ground (for voltage) in each box until the load wire was ID'ed, then connect that wire to the common: the other two are travelers. The rest of the info at the site I used was somewhat misleading, but I reasoned that the wires at the second switch now could be probed to ground to ID which wires there were the travelers (toggling the first switch will change the traveler), the other wire then had to be the common wire at that switch. Connected both accordingly and all is well.
Alright. Glad you got it