Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an outbuilding in which none of the plugs except

Customer Question
I have an outbuilding...

I have an outbuilding in which none of the plugs except those on a different circuit work. I thought the gfci plug went bad but I have replace it. what is strange to me is the there is power to the terminals but not to the plug

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Most of today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if I can solve it. if it needs more brain power then exists in my cranium, it will have to get and electrician to come and look at the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have also replace the breaker for that circuit

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/30/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Does the GFCI have a load termination? If so, temporarily remove the load wires. Does the GFCI work or still trip?

sorry i am pretty green at this. I am not sure i understand load termination.

1) Back the GFCI out from the wall box. Look at the back of the GFCI. It will be labeled as load and line. Remove the load wires if you have them. Then plug a lamp or a portable radio into the GFCI and see if it works.

1) If you replaced the GFCI, you also need to confirm that you didn't reverse the line and load side wires. You will need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to confirm the line and load wires.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does this help to answer your question?