Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I bought a wink gardinier ceiling fan and took my old one…

Customer Question
Hello, I bought a...

Hello, I bought a wink gardinier ceiling fan and took my old one off and wired it like the instructions say. I live in a older singlewide trailer house. When I turned the breaker on and then the light switch. Everything worked but when I went to put the top canopy ring, it sparked !!!!! I immediately jumped down and turn the breaker off. Now after checking the wires, I tried it again and the fans remote controls no longer work. The fan just comes on and the light stays on for a few seconds and then goes off. This fan does have a receiver for the remote. Any help please?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just this afternoon

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Electrical
3/30/2018
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 28 days ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me help!
I would appear you shorted the receiver! If you can't find any burnt wiring or broken wires the electronics are probably ! Can you return the fan as defective?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I think I can. I bought 2 of them. Only tried one today. Any advise to why I shorted it?
You had to have a wires pinched and when you put the canopy on it shorted? Did you find any blackened wires?
You need to make sure your connections are done right and nothing is pinched!
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Pinched - as in almost folded in two?
The canopy needs to barely score the insulation to short!
HopeHope I was helpful! Please give me a positive rating when you re done!
Thanks
George
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, that's probably what happened. I had thought that since I had an older trailer house, I didn't have a neutral wire and it wasn't working right so I put that old one back on. But that makes sense, I thought maybe i wired it wrong but I checked it 3 times.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thank you for your help.
You mean you don't have a ground? That would only cause it to possible not work right! Not short!
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have a ground copper bare wire, white and black comes out the J box
Your fine!
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, good deal. Thank you for your time....
Please rate me?
Mike, Master Electrician