Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am going to start at the beginning, i hope you are

Customer Question
patient! Ok, power was disconnected...
I am going to start at the beginning, i hope you are patient! Ok, power was disconnected to the house. I plugged my generator into the house & things were not right, so i replaced the plug in, tried again, no dice. I removed it from the house, ran extension cords from the generator & powered the essentials for the next 2 months, until power was restored. Here is where things started going wrong for me. First, it was the oven. I had used the stovetop throughout the entire 2 months without power. Its a gas range, by the way. Electric ignition. The first time i tried to use the oven, it wont heat up. I can see the ignitor get bright, but it the oven never “flames up” &/or heats up. Then, the first time i tried to use the dryer, it has lights & digital settings, all function normal. I make the selection & when i hit start, i hear the motor begin to turn the drum for a split second & then nothing. Shuts down. It would do that, as many times as i want to try. Still give me lights & digital, but cannot actually run. I bought a new washer & dryer set. New dryer has lights on inside it, i hear the motor begin to turn that drum for a second, nothing. I turn on my flourescent lighting in my building out back, then i turned on the flourescent lights in the backroom, they wont come on. As i am leaving, i turn off the lights in front & i see the back lights come on. I can run one set or other, but not both at the same time. All of the appliances that im having problems with, are 220. They give me lights, but cannot actually preform the full function that they are designed to. I replaced the pigtail & its plugin, for th dryer. No change. I replaced the breaker that its on. No change. I tested everywhere with my volt meter, it shows full power from all ends, everywhere. I am 38, ive never married, i had never called a professional for anything. Perplexed & confused, i gave in & called an electrician. He did every single thing that i had already done. Cant figure it out. I called the power company. They rushed someone over, he checked my meter, my transformer, tested everywhere, cant find any problem on the power company end, cant figure out what the problem is.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 3 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, can you check power at your main panel from each main hot legs to neutral? Try to run you hair dryer while checking. If power fluctuates significantly while trying to use this, you have a loose main neutral connection.
By fluctuating I mean if voltage to neutral goes up on leg 1 and down on leg 2 or vice versa.
If one hot leg stays stable voltage (should be close to 120 volts to neutral) and one goes down then you have a loose or broken hot leg either at the panel, meter, or transformer.