Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm considering replacing a single duplex receptacle in my…

Customer Question
Hi! I'm considering...

Hi! I'm considering replacing a single duplex receptacle in my kitchen with a double receptacle (so I get four plugs in one area). ...but I don't know enough about electricity to know whether this is safe. The current duplex receptacle is on a dedicated 12-3 wire from the circuit breaker, and it's a gfci

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Don't know age; bought the house 4 years ago and the electric had been "upgraded." Power is never a problem. Haven't consulted with an electrician. It's difficult to get people to come for small jobs.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing comes to mind.= well... i have minor electrical experience (at home)

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 28 days ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi............what is on that circuit? ...............if nothing with a motor and you have a 12-2 with ground on a 20 amp breaker you should be fine to add your extra receptacle

Electrician: Rich, Master Electrician replied 27 days ago
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Hello Usually single receptacles are installed into single wal boxes. If what you are wanting if more places to pkug stuff into, then consider a multi receptacle plug-in. You can find them at most home stores .
Rich
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician