Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm considering replacing a single duplex receptacle in my…

Customer Question
Hi! I'm considering...

Hi! I'm considering replacing a single duplex receptacle in my kitchen with a double receptacle (so I get four plugs in one area). ...but I don't know enough about electricity to know whether this is safe. The current duplex receptacle is on a dedicated 12-3 wire from the circuit breaker, and it's a gfci

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Don't know age; bought the house 4 years ago and the electric had been "upgraded." Power is never a problem. Haven't consulted with an electrician. It's difficult to get people to come for small jobs.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing comes to mind.= well... i have minor electrical experience (at home)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 3 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi............what is on that circuit? ...............if nothing with a motor and you have a 12-2 with ground on a 20 amp breaker you should be fine to add your extra receptacle

Electrician: Rich, Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Hello Usually single receptacles are installed into single wal boxes. If what you are wanting if more places to pkug stuff into, then consider a multi receptacle plug-in. You can find them at most home stores .