Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am connecting a TP Link smart switch and coming out of my…

I am connecting a...

I am connecting a TP Link smart switch and coming out of my wall to the exiting switch is two black wires a cluster of white a bare copper wire and a red wire. Following instructions, I attached the green TP wire to the bare copper, the white to the cluster of whites and the two black wires to each. However ther is also a red wire and I’m not sure what to do.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I’m quite familiar with installing most electrical stuff but this extra wire is throwing me

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The house was built new 11 years ago and no electrician

3/27/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question! Look to see if the smart switch can be used as a 3way switch! I believe so! Just cap the red switch off and you will be ok!

Hope I was of help today ?

Please give me a positive rating!

Thanks!

George

I’ll try that thanks

You may have a 3way switch but it can be used as as single pole!

Thank you it works. Everything is good.

Please give me a positive rating?

George

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for the positive rating !

Please feel free to ask for me personally if you have any more question !

Thanks!

George