Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a detached garage in the back of my house that is…

Customer Question
I have a detached garage...
I have a detached garage in the back of my house that is having some weird electrical problems and i believe all the problems are related. some of the outlets are getting 220v and others are normal. There is a ceiling fan in there that when i change the speeds the lights get brighter or dimmer as well. The outlets problem has ruined a few electronics we had in there.I am not currently at my house but when i do get home i have a meter i can use to check voltage etc. What can i do to see what the problem is.
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Electrical
3/26/2018
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 30 days ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

These type of problems can be caused from a couple of things; Weak neutral, voltage spikes from faulty breakers or bars in the panel, or utility pole transformers starting to go bad.

You can start by checking all the breakers and wires in the panel for looses connections and inspect the specific breakers for being burnt or melted as well as the bars they attach to. If you have Aluminum wires that is also typical as the aluminum begins to deteriorate.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Since it seems to affect all the outlets and lights, do you think it is more likely to be a weak neutral? If so, what are the likely causes of that?

Over time connections loosen up or if there is an overload the wires heat up and begin to break down making weak connections. Aluminum wires always need to be re-tightened due to the soft wire.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
you're thinking its a loose connection and all the breakers?

I am recommending to inspect and tighten all the wires in the panel and the specific breakers that control the problem outlets be removed and the bars and breaker be inspected for burnt damage.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok thank you

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customerwith the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Ratingbased on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answeringquestions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a fewmoments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, howeverif additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and Iwill respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 28 days ago

For some reason this never released so you could rate it....

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician